Chapter 32: Lauren

Queens, New York.
20th May, 2022
-
Beyoncé's POV.
-

My father almost never visits his restaurants or clubs so you must understand the reason why I'm surprised that he's here right now. His face showed anger but he wasn't looking at me, his eyes were fixed on Onika.

The poor girl was already afraid of my father and knowing that he caught us, I wouldn't be surprised if she had fainted.

I stood in front of my father taking his eyes off Onika, he looks down at me and his features soften. He didn't look as angry as he looked before but I can tell that some of that anger was targeted at me also "That kid...uh, Onika?" He refers to the girl that's working for him.

The tone of his voice rubbed me the wrong way, I didn't like the way he's speaking and as much as I ignored my father's flaws I knew exactly what kind of man he is and what he does for a living.

"What about her?" My voice gave away that I cared for the girl but I didn't care in this moment. The last thing I want is something happening to Onika because of me.

My father places his hands in his front pockets as he examines me "You pretty much lost it when you thought she was in jail" He comments, "You turned on your brother because of her" He made another point, "I remembered you telling me that you wasn't feeling well which caused you to miss a day of work and that's odd because you never let anything bring you down so you must understand my confusion when I found out you went back to work per Onika's request."

I knew what my father was hinting at, I wasn't dumb or naive. "That doesn't mean anything" I told him as I look in his eyes.

He puts his finger on his lip gesturing that I let him finish "That's not all, darling" My father continues "I've been married to your mother for 18 years and never have you ever asked me for a favor, never." I know he's referring to the one favor I asked him to hire Onika.

There wasn't anything else that I can say to deny my feelings for Onika so I didn't respond because what's the use, my father is not someone that can be fooled or manipulated, I'll be wasting my breath trying to convince him otherwise.

He took a step into my personal space "She's controlling you" My father spoke as he looks down at me. "How unlike you. You are stronger than that" He finishes off.

I raise my head to meet his eyes "She's not good for you; I pity that girl if I catch her anywhere near you" He hit the nail on its head.

"Now go home and rest darling" He kisses the top of my head. "You look tired"

My father is threatening Onika. I clutch my phone in my hands watching him walk away. There are many things that I can do but putting Onika in harm's way isn't something that I can do no matter how selfish I wanted to be.

The mood that I am in will surely get someone cursed out if they looked at me the wrong way. So I took my father's advice and went straight home to think about what he said. It will be selfish of me to continue being around Onika when I knew my father isn't her biggest fan right now. Why must everything be so complicated when it comes to us?

There were many sings that I've ignored to be with Onika but this sign is one sign that I couldn't ignore for the girl's sake. I look down at the phone in my hand seeing a missed call from the person I'm currently avoiding.

I threw my phone across my room and heard it ringing on the floor, I groan in frustration. Why must you be persistent, Onika?

Falling asleep wasn't an option right now; I know my thoughts wanted to roam while I'm awake. My phone rang again and I knew it was Onika, I climb off my bed and walk towards my phone, picking it up.