12.

Derek couldn't believe he was doing this. He felt like he was in fifth grade, pretending to do one thing as he tried to talk to the girl he liked. He was nervous and he had butterflies in his stomach like he had around every girl he liked. But this time it felt a little different. He thought about turning around but it was too late as the elevator doors opened on the floor of Addison's practice and he saw Meredith sitting at the front desk on the phone. She didn't notice him there, as she dealt with a patient on the phone, biting her lip like she always did and writing down in what he could only guess what their appointment book. She looked...beautiful. Her hair was pulled back and she was wearing professional clothes but she looked beautiful, which only made him even more nervous.

"Hi..." Derek said quietly, as he walked up to the desk.

'I'll be with you one moment Sir...." Meredith replied, turning towards the copier before turning back to him. "Did you need to see Dr. Mont....."

"Hi." He repeated, a small smile on his face.

"Hi."

"Nice to see you...again."

"Oh um....do you...did you have an appointment?" Meredith frowned, looking down at the calendar.

"No. No appointment. I think Mark told Addison I was going to stop by to see her though."

"Oh...I can...she's with a patient right now."

"That's fine. I can wait."

"Oh." Meredith frowned, looking at the empty waiting room.

"Unless...Should I come back tomorrow or something? Too busy today?" Derek smirked, also looking at the empty waiting room.

"No um...it's just she has a C-section scheduled in an hour and...it's fine." Meredith bit her lips, putting her pen down. "Coffee? Water?...We...I can get you something."

"Coffee would be great, if it's not too much trouble."

"No...it's fine." Meredith quickly walked out from behind the desk. "Follow me."

"Okay." Derek nodded, following her, the familiar smell of lavender filling his nose.

"We don't have a receptionist right now...one quit after making it to second round of America's top Model and the other got married and pregnant so...just me right now."

"Wow. Addison would be screwed if you left."

"Well we have the nurses and the nutritionist and of course we have a woman who comes in once a week but, yeah...we need a new secretary."

"So when you aren't answering the phone and playing receptionist, what do you do?" Derek asked, taking the coffee from her, their hands quickly touching.

"I'm helping Addison schedule, taking care of some paper work and keeping the office in order..."

"What would it take to steal you away to Seattle Grace? Our receptionists are...lacking."

"I'm content." Meredith giggled a little, taking her own coffee into her hands. "Speaking of...day off?"

"Not exactly." Derek smiled.

"Lunch hour?"

"Part of it. No surgeries today. Figured I'd...leave early."

"Oh I see." Meredith replied, walking over to the lunch room printer. "Damn it."

"Is it jammed?" Derek asked, putting his coffee down and walking over next to her.

"No I just...I sent charts over to the hospital earlier and this form never made it in so...I have to get it there." Meredith groaned,"And I can't fax it so...I'm sorry. I better go."