Nishinoya Yuu - Here and Now

Start from the beginning

"Have you tried volleyball?" Nishinoya asked with wide eyes that seemed to try and pierce into your soul.

"Only recreationally." Just as you said that the bell rang, and the teacher dismissed the class. You began packing your bag, ready to tour the school for clubs while you waited. Nishinoya hopped from his head and called his friend over.

"You should give it a try, it's a fun sport! I'd know," he suggested.

"I'll look into it. See you after practice."

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Nishinoya's mouth dropped when he walked into your home. Already different from the traditional house he lived in, Nishinoya slipped off his shoes and immediately began touring around the more western-styled home. Quickly, he found himself by a glass cabinet that held many small sculptures and pieces of art, beside it, a colourful abstract painting hung on the wall.

"This is so cool!"

Your brows raised as you watched him admire all the pieces. "They're from around the world, my dad has to travel a lot for work. Would you like some water?" You dropped your bag on the couch.

"Please." He looked at a boldly coloured fabric that hung neatly in the display case. "Where is this from?"

You walked over handing him one of the cold glasses. "Ah, that's a headscarf. I think my dad got it from a seamstress friend while in Jamaica. My mom wears a few, but not as fancy as that one."

Nishinoya then pointed to a rock that was painted with vibrant dots of colour. "What about this?"

"Hmm? That my dad got from an indigenous friend in Australia that was showing him around. It's a traditional style. Very pretty."

"Your dad has a lot of friends."

"I want to meet them all one day," you hummed with a smile before leading Nishinoya to your couch to work on the project.

"I'm jealous, I want to travel the world too."

"I've only been to a few places. But it's definitely worth seeing."

The project, a world history one, came much more easily with the ice broken between the two of you. And with the topic being rather easy, and having your second-hand knowledge at the ready, finding, researching, and finishing it was made easy.

Leaning back into the cushions of the couch, your stomach rumbled. You elbowed Nishinoya in the side, pulling his attention away from your laptop with a yelp. "You hungry? I'll make some food. Any preferences?"

"Do you have soda-flavoured popsicles?"

You blinked at him before swearing (from what he could tell) in a language he didn't understand. "I'm gonna make you real food." You slapped his shoulder with a laugh before stepping into the kitchen.

Nishinoya listened to the sizzling in the other room as he looked over the project, moving information around in the slides, to follow a more coherent train of thought (he thought at least). As he did, he didn't notice the door open.

"Oh, hello there." Another accented voice spoke from the door.

Your mom, though different in some ways, was practically a vision of what Nishinoya could see being you when you got older.

Nishinoya only managed to give the woman a small bow of the head before she tossed her purse down, kicked off her shoes, and made her way into the kitchen.

"Add some more turmeric," he heard her say.

"Are you sure?" Even without a clear sight of your face, he could hear the uncertainty and could vividly imagine the sigh of your asymmetrical brows that were arched in question.

"I've been cooking for you for years, are you really gonna question it?"

"Fair point."

Though Nishinoya didn't know the name of the dish and definitely could pronounce it no matter how many times you tried to help (which made the air between the three of you much more comfortable as it was filled with laughter) it was delicious and eagerly put on his list of things to eat again.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•

Nishinoya sprinted around the gym trying to pick up as many stray balls as possible before his friend beat him. You watched from the crack of the metal doorway, waiting for a polite moment to walk in.

It had been a week since the both of you had finished your project, half a week since handing it in, and a couple of days since Nishinoya was allowed to go back to his old seat.

Within that time, your mother had teasingly prodded you about the newfound friend you had made and brought it up to your dad, who upon hearing about Nishinoya's interest in travelling, was eager to meet the boy and tell him all his stories. At the moment though, you had gotten your grade back, and wanted to share the news.

As the coach finished talking and the boys began to move around again, you knocked. "Nishinoya?"

The boy turned, spiky hair unmoving and only letting the blond tuff at the front bounce. "(L/N)!" He cheered before running over with a ready-made smile.

You grinned and held up the grade sheet for him to get a look at. "We did good!"

"I haven't had a grade this good since middle school!" he cheered, shoving the paper in his friend's face, who immediately began to cheer with him.

"That's concerning."

"We should celebrate!"

"What?!"

Calming down, he turned back to you with a big smile. Letting his friend strew over having the lower grade of the two behind him. "Could I come over again today? I really liked your cooking, and I want to hear more stories."

Something bubbled in your stomach and you tried not to howl out of pure embarrassment. You smiled, letting out a silent laugh. "My dad is going to adore you. Sure, why not."

Your dad did, in fact, adore Nishinoya, and you couldn't help but agree.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Though separate, I almost think of this as a prelude to "Catch Me If You Can" just because they compliment each other, and I like that idea. - Bacon

Posted: 18/07/2021