chapter twenty seven

The two arrived at the compound, with Allura giggling at an old story Steve had recalled to her.
"Right anyway," he cleared his throat, "I'm guessing you probably want to sneak up to your room before you get bombarded with questions, so take those stairs and I'll let them know you're okay."
Allura turned to him in awe. "I still have a room?"
"Well, yeah..."
"Wow you guys must love me," She snickered before turning her back on Steve and jogging up the steps.
He watched as she got further away. "Yeah," he muttered quietly.

Just as Steve had expected, the rest of the team had all been sitting together discussing intensely. As soon as they saw him, Nat strode over with a stern look. Oh here we go, he though.

"It's been days," Nat started, observing him closely.
"I know, I know, she just needed some time."
"Have you found out where she's been all this time? How she's ALIVE?"
"Yeah, it's uh, pretty crazy," Steve replied, scratching the back of his head.

Wanda stepped forward then, "Where's Allura now?
"In her room. She might want some space so..."

Before Steve could finish, Nat turned to Wanda grinning, and they ran towards the door excitedly.

"Never mind."
Sam approached him and clapped his friend on the back. "You can never stop women man."

As Allura finished taking a look around her room to see if anything had changed, there was a light knock on the door. She gulped, before making her way towards it. She didn't know who to expect.

Creaking the door open slowly, she was met with loud squeals and was almost tackled to the floor. The girl couldn't help the grin that took to her face as she saw her two friends for the first time properly in years.

"You're here!" Wanda screeched, placing kisses all over her face, before the three girls sat down.
"I can't believe it, you really are a survivor," Nat smiled.
Allura cocked an eyebrow. "Learnt it from the best."

They talked for a couple hours, with no breaks in between. After all they had a lot to catch up on.

"So," Nat said, not even trying to hide her mischievous grin, "How was it seeing Steve again."
The girl blushed and stared at the floor. "He's always been good to me."
"Oh come on," Wanda sighed unhappily, "Give us something, or I'm going inside your head!"
Allura gasped, sending a pillow at Wanda's head. "You wouldn't!"
"Yeah you're right I wouldn't."
"Well, if you're not going to fess up, we should start getting ready for the party. And no pouting Allura, I know you secretly love this," Nat rolled her eyes. "We getting ready together, just like old times?"
"Definitely."

——————

"Where did you find a dress like this," Allura gasped as she stared into the mirror. The dress was long and ever so stunning, fitted in all the right places.
"I would never tell, now let's go, we'll be the last ones there."

As they were walking down the steps, she turned to Wanda. "I forgot to ask, how are you and Vision?"
She smiled softly. "Amazing. Oh look, there they are.",
As they neared the party, they could see the others mingling and laughing until they spotted the three of them arriving. They all looked great. Allura almost blushed when she noticed Steve looking at her, dressed in an all black suit, always so smart.

"Hey, glow stick!" Sam called out to her before pulling her into a hug. "Hey Sam," she chuckled, soaking up the affection before then being bombarded by Bucky's arms. "Ah look, the weirdo's back."

"Wow thanks guys, didn't forget the nicknames I see."
"Never."

Before she could even take a moment to breathe, she had suddenly been linked by no other than Tony and was being led off to the bar, and by the time they got there he was already ordering drinks. She sighed, she had completely forgotten about this.

"So, Miss, how have you been," he smirked, handing her a vibrant looking drink.
"Had better days," she sighed. "You?"
"Better now."
"So have you and Pepper had kids yet, I'm still waiting."
"Wow straight into it huh, not yet, but I'm feeding the dream to her, I said that we're going to have a little girl first, and we're gonna name her Morgan, and she seemed quite happy about that."
"Does sound amazing Tony."
"What about you and Rogers then, he propose yet?"
Allura choked on her drink. "I just got back Tony, really?"
"Yeah and you'll have to tell me that some other day. Now come on, you're telling me you haven't missed those beautiful blue eyes," he mocked, chuckling at her facial expressions.
"How many drinks have you had? She questioned.
"Not enough."
The girl needed a break. "Hey look there's Pepper, go tell her about your future family," she shoved him lightly in her direction, shaking her head at him.

As she watched the party goers dancing wildly, she got lost in thought about how she felt being back. Allura felt that she could feel happy again, with her people, and she told herself to cherish every moment, the world was so unpredictable. However she would never be separated from them again, she was stronger now, she knew it.

"You get lost in space again Ally?" a familiar voice called to her.
She looked up and saw Steve, grinning at her. "Too soon for that Rogers," she replied, but couldn't manage to wipe the smile off her face.
He came and stood next to her. "You thinking of dancing anytime soon, you should enjoy yourself."
She stared at her feet. "Just waiting for a good song I guess."
"Well then, it's a good thing I requested a song I think you'd like."
She stared up at him, confused as she waited for the next song to begin. And when it did, she was flooded with distant memories of some of their first moments together.

Be my Baby - the Ronettes

Her mouth opened wide. "You remember?"
He held out a hand for Allura. "How could I forget?"

He led her out onto the dance floor, and she couldn't ignore how comfortable she felt holding onto him. Once they found a spot, he turned to her and started spinning her around. It was the best feeling ever.

"Guess you're feeling nostalgic then?" She questioned, once she had turned back round. He lifted his hand to cup the side of her face, however he looked quite upset.
"What is it Steve?"
"We've just lost so much time," he stared at her so intensely that Allura thought she might cry.
She thought about what to say for a moment.

"Well, don't think about it now. We have forever."
The playful smile returned to his face, and he pulled her in closer, swaying to the rhythm.

And it was here, looking at him, that she knew that everything was going to be okay. They had fought so much, and it was their time now.

Thank you.