chapter seven

(A/N: Forgot to mention there'll be some bad language or whatevs ;) )

Avengers Compound - Upstate New York

Allura sat comfortably, tapping her fingers on the table and looking around her. She was in a large room with plain white walls, her legs up on the table in front of her. She was daydreaming, thinking about how she would decorate the room if it was her own. It was very entertaining, considering she'd never had a room that she could decorate, or was barely still standing. There was a long mirror in front of her, but she knew that it wasn't just a mirror. There was a beep from the steel grey door and it clicked open. Steve Rogers walked in.

The rest of the team stood behind the "mirror" observing her every move.

"So, we'll start with some easy questions first huh?" Steve spoke, leaning over the table in front of her.

"Sure."

"What's your name?"

"Oh wow, that simple then. Allura."

"Okay, Allura," Steve said her name almost mockingly, "Who gave you that name?"

"That's a tricky one chief. I'm afraid I can't answer that," Allura cocked an eyebrow at him.

"See. I told the others you weren't going to comply. You probably still work for Hydra don't you?" He replied, standing up straight and folding his arms with a scoff.

"Seriously?!" her voice came out louder than it was supposed to.

"Well, just know we've done our research. Your memory was never wiped, you weren't brainwashed, you did things by your own will-"

"My own will! The utter bullshit that's coming out your mouth! You want to know why my memory wasn't ever wiped? Because there aren't any memories to wipe in the first place. You want to know why I wouldn't tell you who gave me my name. It's because I don't know okay? I don't know what my life was before Hydra, or if I even had one in the first place. That's what I've been doing ever since I escaped, trying to find my own way in the world. What I like, what I don't like, all of that. And then you guys show up, and how stupid it was of me to think that if I helped you guys, maybe you could help me! I guess i was wrong. But I just want to know who I am, know where I came from. I was so young. So young."

Allura hunger her head in embarrassment. She didn't mean to lash out like that. She didn't even know that's how she felt, she always had everything buried deep. But now the silence was so loud it was painful. Allura didn't dare look up at Steve who was staring at her wide-eyed, a hint of guilt tugging at his face.

The team outside the room were deadly silent, as everybody was avoiding each other's eye contact.

"Seems like we know more than her," Tony finally spoke up.

"What if she's lying?" Sam muttered, somehow not convinced. " We should send Wanda in."

"I'll go," the girl's quiet voice was heard from the corner. "But it's already pretty clear."

-----------

Another beep and click from the door caused Allura to break her stare at the ground. Wanda floated in quite gracefully towards Steve, and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Steve," she spoke in a low voice. "Go."

He obeyed and left, leaving only the two girls in the room.

"Allura, pretty name."

"Uh, thanks. Look I know why you're here, to like read my mind or something, but-"

"You're quite complicated," Wanda subtly dismissed what she was saying. "Your feelings, they are hard to reach. Why is that?"

"Yeah feelings aren't really my thing-"

"No. You're scared of them Allura."

"Excuse me?"

"It's okay. Has anyone ever told you that? It's okay to be...afraid. They never told me that when I was at Hydra. 'Just suck it up' seemed to be their way of going about it."

"Yeah, I kinda recognise that brilliant saying," Allura gave her a small smile, and she was met with the same in return.

"Nobody here wants to hurt you," Wanda continued. " But it's perfectly understandable if you're afraid." And with that peculiar encounter, she placed her hand gently on Allura's, and then turned, walking out the way she came.

----------

"Did you get anything?" Steve asked.

"I was telling the truth. Her feelings are strongly guarded. I think she feels conflicted. Pietro and I," she took a glance at her brother next to her, "spent a lot of time in Hydra being taught. Not just how to fight, but how to survive. 'Feelings are a weakness' is what we were told, over and over. I almost believed it. But if Allura really was there that long, I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase was tattooed on her brain."

"Right," Tony lifted his head out of his hands. "So you didn't get anything, not even when you touched her hand?"

"Just one. This feeling, I mean the girl is strong, but this feeling could overpower anything inside of her. Like she has denied it for so long, but it still grows strong to this day."

"So what is it?"

"Loneliness."

---------

The team hadn't moved from that room, deliberating what they would do next. There were many mixed opinions:

"She could be an amazing asset to the team-"

"-But how do we know if we can trust her?"

"It's not safe for her or anyone else if she's out in the world alone-"

"So what? She just stays here. Keep her in a cell, bring her out when we need her for missions, you know how crazy that sounds right?" Nat explained as she looked around at everyone. "You guys, she's not the only one here that was under Hydra's control," she gestured to the twins, and then to Bucky, who gulped nervously. "They were given second chances, why not her?"

"I'll tell you why," Sam came away from Bucky's side and walked towards Nat. "She's the most powerful person we've ever seen. The fact we don't know much about her is one thing, but the other part where she doesn't even know herself, that's what you call dangerous, Natasha. We make one wrong move, we're dead in seconds. All of us."

Tony huffed, "Then we make no wrong moves."