chapter twenty two

(A/N: Have another chapter as well ;) i'm feeling generous)

It was hard for Peter, Tony and Strange to mask their happiness from their plan being a success, but from the looks on the faces of the others, they could tell that whoever this Gamora person was, they were amazing. And they must have been pretty special to Quill as he sat leaning against a bench in an emotionless gaze.

Mantis had offered to calm his emotions and make him feel less like a ship wreck but he had denied. He needed to feel this pain, otherwise how weak would he be if he couldn't handle the love of his life dying at the hands of that ugly brute?

Tony attempted to keep still and sit quietly as they made their way home, but his head was filled with so many thoughts that his leg bounced up and down repeatedly, the metal of his armour clanging as it collided with the floor being music to his ears. They had just defeated Thanos. They were going home. He was so excited to get home to Pepper, who he'd hoped was doing okay after he left so suddenly. Would the team be proud of him when he told them what happened? Hell yeah, they would.

But what about Allura? She was up there right now, with no backup, and alone with the mighty Thanos. He may not have the stones, but he was still Thanos. And...wait. Tony thought some more.

How the hell would she actually get back to Earth?

"We have to go back and get Allura now!" Tony strode up to Nebula who had been enjoying the ride in peace, allowing more time to process the death of her sister.

"Hey dude," Drax spoke quietly form his space next to Quill. He didn't look to good either. "We can't do that, we'd be bringing the stones closer to Thanos." The smart words that had actually left Drax's mouth caused Quill to break his trance and silence.

"He's uh, actually right. Look I'm sorry, but the girl, she seemed powerful. She'll find a way,"  he added in a not so reassuring voice.

Just as Tony was about to retort with a remark about how bad they were at trying to make him feel better, Nebula decided it was time for her to tell them what she knew.

"The plan was perfect," her deep solemn voice attracted the attention of everyone on the jet. "No but honestly, there couldn't have been a better plan. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have done this, nothing would've worked."

"What are you trying to say?" Strange inquired.

"What I'm saying is that she was meant for this. She was meant to stay with Thanos, she was meant to defeat him, she always was. She's the Hyacinth. The only thing Thanos, the mighty Titan has ever feared," she explained before adding in a low mutter, "Apart from these weird spiky creatures he used to encounter on missions."

"Wait, you're telling me he knew her?"

Nebula thought about her words for a moment. "Not exactly. But every evil warrior, not matter how powerful, is destined to fall at the hands that belong to the Hyacinth. Why. she's the great prophecy from the Gods."

Tony let out a slight chuckle. "No, no, I know her. Allura, kid we found a few years back, had some horrid childhood, but I mean, loads of people do. She kept to herself for a long time, but she opened up. She's a great person, but a prophecy? She's just Allura."

"No," Nebula denied. "Nobody is just anybody. She has a great purpose in the universe, and she is far from finished. While Thanos experimented on me he used to tell me about his missions he went on to find and destroy her before she reached her most powerful state, but he could never find her. Who would think that a being with the power to crush anyone who stands in her way, could just be a small girl with a rough childhood, from a measly planet such as Earth? If you don't believe me I understand. But as soon as i first saw her use her powers I knew who it was. And you will believe me when you see her return to Earth on her lonesome, needing only her powers, to get what she wants."

Tony stood on the jet in awe. How in any way could that be true. She was just his favourite fiery and sarcastic but lovable person, apart from him of course, but how could she be what Nebula described.

He slumped down into the chair next to Peter who had a very confused and overwhelmed look on his face, and pondered. All the thoughts and possibilities ran through his mind, but the one thing he was the most nervous about was telling the Avengers that she'd been alive all this time.

"So that's how she survived floating in space for so long when we found her," Quill put the pieces together.

"Yes," replied Nebula.

Dr Strange also sat, his eyes closed, using the time stone to flick through time, searching for answers about this prophecy he was only just hearing of. He would definitely need more library searching time once he got back to the Sanctum.

When he opened his eyes again, the light from the window besides him increased intensely, and he peered out to see them approaching Earth.

They made it.