chapter four

MONTHS LATER

Allura sat in the shaded area of her new apartment that stood on the outskirts of the city. The hotel was temporary just while she got used to her surroundings, but she soon decided she liked New York therefore planned on staying there.

 The apartment wasn't anything fancy, in fact it was quite the opposite, the wallpaper was peeling in the corners and there was a strange kind of smell that lingered around once you stepped through the door, but Allura found comfort in it all the same. After all, it cost a lot less than the hotel room, so she was also more financially comfortable to say the least.

It was a Saturday evening. The lights in the distance blared into the window, only reminding the girl of all the people spending the night out. She had completed the early shift today the bar, so she had the evening all to herself and the television. Perfect for me, she thought. 

She tinkered around in the kitchen looking for a snack whilst "Full House" played on the TV. Something about those kind of shows made her feel a sense of home, even though she wasn't really sure what that felt like.

After a while, she turned on the evening news. Images flooded the screen of the Avengers and signing the accords. Allura shifted uncomfortably in her seat, beginning to zone out as flashbacks from the day they stormed the HYDRA base replayed in her head. She was barely even watching until a new headline appeared. It was something about a bombing in Vienna, resulting in the death of 12 people. What the hell were people getting themselves into? Allura's mind raced once again, flashing with possibilities of what could have happened if she was there to help. But it wasn't her life anymore, and the girl knew she had to accept that.

Allura practiced with her powers often, as it was the only part of her that made her feel like she had any idea who she was. She had improved immensely on her control and manipulation, she could almost perfectly perform complex moves with a slight twitch of a finger. She didn't know when it would come to use, but it was always safer to be prepared.

Allura leaned forward to grab the remote and switched off the TV, she wasn't sure if she could handle any more depressing news, or boring news about the Avengers having to sign some type of 'Accords' or something? She wasn't sure, she had pretty much switched off by that point.

She stood up abruptly from the couch and closed her eyes, standing still for a moment.

"Thanks for watching another episode of a day in my life," she muttered to herself with a slight chuckle. "Interesting, my life isn't it? Really interesting," she wasn't sure what she was doing, but talking to herself at least gave her some entertainment.

"Join me next week for another same boring ass Saturday."

And with that, she went to bed.

Meanwhile in London

"I'm sorry Nat," Steve sighed, shaking his head and staring at the floor. "I can't sign it."

"I know."

"Then what are you doing here," he gazed at her face with a hint of curiosity gleaming in his eyes.

Nat paused for a moment, as if choosing her words wisely. "I didn't want you to be alone."

Steve's serious gaze faltered just for a moment, before Nat pulled him into a hug. "I know you got a lot of things going on Steve, but just take my advice for one god-damn time will you? Tell Tony what you know. Everything. Before it's too late and things get ugly."

Steve harshly sucked in a breath of air.

"Okay. Okay I will."

--------

The flight back to the US flew by quickly for Steve. He was distant from everyone and everything the whole way there, his brain was working too fast for him to focus on anything else. He knew Nat was right, he knew it. I mean, she always was. He had to tell Tony.

About his parents. About Bucky.

-------

"Yeah, but you see, vanilla's just so boring man, like at least pair it with something else if you think you're so destined to eat it or something."

Sam Wilson was sitting in a chair, legs propped up on the island, facing Wanda, Pietro and Vision. They seemed to be debating ice cream flavours. Well. it was mostly just Sam and himself. He had gotten quite comfortable at the Avengers Compound, it suited him.

"Hm, well I like it, so I don't care, okay Sam?" Pietro stood opposite him, brows furrowed. He had a spoon in one hand, and a tub of ice cream in the other. "Come on Vision, back me up here."

"Well, I mean, I don't exactly uh, eat food," he replied, looking back and forwards between them both. The pair just rolled their eyes, but Wanda gave him a small yet sympathetic smile. Vision observed this and simply looked away, trying to rid of an overwhelming feeling that had built up in his chest. Maybe a malfunction.

The slightly irritating bickering continued for minute or so, until they were interrupted by a pair of aggravated voices nearing them.

Steve and Tony.

"And you still wanna protect this guy? After everything" Tony was shouting now as they neared the entrance to the kitchen.

"Im sorry Tony, I know. But it wasn't him. So please just-"

"Just what? No come on, just what Rogers? He..." Tony's voice slightly cracked as he stopped and looked up at Steve. "He killed my mom."

"Tony-"

"I just, I just need time, okay?" And with this, Tony turned back around and began to walk away.

"Tony!"

His head spun back around.

"Are you gonna be okay," Tony noticed that Steve sounded genuinely concerned, and it was at this point that Tony knew he understood.

"Yeah. I think I will be."

-------

After a few moments of staring at the spot that Tony had previously been standing in, Steve turned to face the others that he had walked in on, who had ceased their debate to listen in on the heated conversation.

"You okay man?" Sam tilted his head slightly. It was rare for Sam to show this side of himself as he usually preferred joking around, but he felt as if he owed Steve sometimes.

"Yeah. I think I will be."