t w e n t y - o n e

"Now... We have approximately three days until Halloween and Iris' birthday, so we have to throw the biggest party the school's seen in years."

There were some nods of agreement and a quiet hum from Alicia, who was currently doodling hearts and faces on the edge of the parchment.

"But I believe that the next 72 hours are vital in the preparation for- Alicia!" Scorpius snapped, resulting in the girl jumping in her seat. "Pay attention."

She stuck her tongue out at him but put down the quill.

"As I was saying..." He cracked his knuckles and sighed. "Due to the fact that we have the responsibility of hosting the largest party of our entire school experience... I think it would be best if we were to divide the tasks between us - into small groups, if you will."

Evan yawned and shoved aside his plate, dropping his forehead on the table with a groan and I snickered into my closed fist. Scorpius ignored him and continued barking instructions,

"Evan... you're in charge of food - don't eat it all - Alicia... guest list - invite as many people as possible but keep the after party on the down low from professors and anyone we aren't close with. Poppy... decorations - the theme, obviously, is general Halloween. Clarabelle... drinks - both soft and non-alcoholic. I, myself, will be in charge of special effects and organisation." He concluded, scribbling down a list as he went.

"Stick to your category and don't be afraid to go all out. Turning nineteen is a big deal. Don't mess up, or else I might just tie you to a tree in the forbidden forest and leave you there." The blonde looked up to us and smiled sweetly. "Got it?"

We exchanged looks with each other and blinked.

"Well, that's a lot of information to obtain in-"

"Excellent! Now, if you'll excuse me, I should probably- Oh, hello father."

"Scorpius." His voice greeted, stopping directly behind my back.

I bit on my pinky finger nervously as the table hushed.

"What was this I was just hearing about drinks and such?"

The blonde in front of me widened his eyes sheepishly, putting his forearms down on the note-filled scroll of parchment.

"Nothing."

"Godric, Scorpius. You could not look more guilty if you tried." Alicia snorted and rolled her eyes. "It's Iris' birthday, professor. And Halloween. We're celebrating on Friday night."

"Alicia." Evan hit his sister on the leg and she shoved him back.

The man behind me used the moment of distraction to near my back, one hand tracing it almost unnoticeably. But I felt it. Along with the trail of chills it left in its wake.

"What?"

I sucked in a breath and leant backwards only slightly.

"What did I say - literally not even five minutes ago - about keeping it on the down low and away from the professors?" Scorpius groaned with frustration.

"It's your dad, it's not like he cares."

"I may be his father but I'm also a professor at this school." Draco interrupted, taking his hand away from my back.

Poppy and I turned sideways so that we were facing him.

"So what?" I spoke up for the first time, brows drawn together. He gave me merely a glance before continuing.

"Which, unfortunately, means that I have to report this to Headmistress McGonagall..."

Each of our faces showed similar expressions of betrayal.