f i v e

After a student raised their hand, I discovered that last week's lessons had been a general revision of the last year, and so we were moving on to studying dementors, a topic which was a part of Fifth Year curriculum at Beauxbâtons.

Professor Malfoy began writing in swirling, elegant handwriting across the blackboard, white chalk screeching as he did so. The letters spelled 'An Introduction to Dementors'.

"Now. Can anyone tell me what a dementor is defined as?" The professor said, surveying the classroom.

I looked around too, noticing nobody made a move to raise their hand.

"No one?"

I raised my own steadily.

"Miss Fayre?"

My head turned back to the front, eyes falling back to Professor Malfoy just a few paces in front of me. He had folded his arms across his chest, biceps flexing.

"A dementor is a gliding, wraithlike Dark creature, sir. It's considered to be one of the foulest to inhabit our wizarding world." I spoke clearly, trying to radiate confidence.

He nodded, possibly impressed. "Correct. Is there anything else you can tell us about them, Miss Fayre?"

"Well, dementors feed on human happiness and therefore generate feelings of depression and despair in any person in close proximity." I finished.

"Perfect answers. Ten points to Slytherin." He awarded, causing a few people to huff in annoyance.

I grinned and tipped my head up higher, no longer needing to attempt to act confident - the boosting of my ego and being praised gave me enough.

The lesson continued, learning about basic things, or what I thought was basic, at least. But then again I had done it all before.

Of course I knew my patronus after being able to cast it at the mere age of fifteen. The Occamy. It was a two-legged, winged creature with a serpentine body, of teal, turquoise and purple colours. It represented thoughtfulness, creativity and protection.

I found myself slipping away from Professor Malfoy's lecture and into my own sea of thoughts as I turned to look out of the window.

The classroom was situated pretty high up in the castle, and the nearest window gave me a clear, upper-side view of the Forbidden Forest. Even in the daylight, the forest looked brooding and menacing, with its twisting and shadowy trees, but at the same time, alluring. I reminded myself to take a stroll around the grounds when I got the chance

"Miss Fayre." Professor Malfoy's deep voice called and pulled me back into the classroom.

I turned my head to the front.

"Pay attention. Getting one correct answer in my class doesn't give you a free-pass to daydream." He spoke irritably.

A few boys behind me laughed and I rolled my eyes at them.

"I am paying attention, and I believe I got two things correct, sir." I retorted, crossing my own arms, and earning a few chuckles myself.

His self-satisfied face morphed into a poorly disguised glare.

"Oh really? What was I just saying? Remind the class of the question and answer it." He raised an eyebrow in challenge, stepping closer to the front of my table.

I sighed at his own childishness. I subtly looked towards the direction of Hugo, beside me, whom was looking down at the wood of our shared desk, and tuned into his thoughts.

Patronus. Your patronus. How to cast one.

"What's the incantation for summoning your own patronus?-" I looked back to Mr Malfoy's face. "It's 'Expecto Patronum', sir."