o n e

"Clarabelle, darling." Mother's gentle voice calls from Father's study across the hall.

I mark my place in the novel in my hands, and push myself off the king-size comforter on my four poster bed.

"Coming, Mother."

Padding along the familiar cold flooring of the hallway, I approach the door to the study and knock twice.

"Enter." Father grumbles.

When I open the door, the stench of Firewhiskey and cigarettes rushes to greet me, a stark contrast to the soothing, earthy smell from my room where my balcony doors were open in the rain. Mother is perched on the side of Father's chair, where he has his head in his hands, hiding his eyes. She looks tense.

I smile politely. "You called for me?"

Father removes his hands and nods, folding them together on his desk.

"Take a seat, Belle." Mother gestured, and so I did in the armchair opposite them at the desk.

"I'm afraid to inform you that you will no longer be attending Beauxbâtons. The... standard of teaching at the academy is simply not as it used to be, and your Mother and I believe it best to withdraw your attendance there." He stated.

I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off when he continued talking.

"You shall be transferring to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where, as of Monday, you can continue your education for your final extended year. Said school is in Scotland, run by headmistress Minerva McGonagall, and you'll reside there with the other students."

I blinked with bewilderment. "What the f-"

"Clarabelle." Mother warned. "Laisse-le parler!"

I restrained myself from scoffing. This was so out of the blue, and so unreasonable. Just because maybe there were slightly worse professors employed at the moment, it doesn't mean my grades will fall too.

"We understand it's abrupt and pretty inconvenient timing, but it's more than necessary. We will apparate to the neighboring village called Hogsmeade with you tomorrow evening. All of your required textbooks and supplies are being collected from Diagon Alley by Mitsy as we speak." Father concluded.

"But, what about my friends? I don't know anyone at Hogwarts, and they already know each other- what if they hate me?" I said anxiously.

"You can still owl them, and meet up between terms. And you're a beautiful, mature young woman; you will settle in comfortably, I'm certain of it." She smiled and reached to pat my hand.

Father just sat unmoving, seemingly unbothered.

I sighed and tried to take in all the information. Rising from the chair, I thanked them before leaving the study, closing the door softly behind me.

Once in my room again, I paced around, already worrying about turning up at Hogwarts, without my friends. I'd been in the company of the same people for the last seven years of my life, and now I had to leave them.

Sure, Beauxbâtons was beginning to turn into a shit-hole, but I was managing just fine studying for my N.E.W.T.s in my own time, expanding on the knowledge retained from the lesson.

I decided to owl my friends to inform them of my parents' decision and to say goodbye, letting them know I would of course stay in contact, and that we should meet up at some point nearer to Christmas or the new year.

Writing each letter one by one, and sending them off on three of the finest, snowy family owls, my nerves disappeared and instead the feeling was replaced by one of excitement. As much as I was going to miss everyone, I now had the opportunity to focus on myself and expand my circle of connections and meet more people.