s e v e n

I woke the next day with little to no memory of last night's events; my mind a combination of a skull-shattering migraine and overwhelming hunger. I recalled having a weird dream, however, that dried my throat up and left my hands with a tremor.

After checking the miniature grandfather clock on my bedside table, I recalled that I still had an hour or so to get ready and have breakfast down at the Great Hall. Unfortunately, that still meant I had to get up; to leave the warmth and comfort of the thick quilts and blankets.

Stepping over the near-empty pringles can to the left of my bed, I practically crawled to the bathroom to shower for as long as it took to wash off the nightmare.

Getting dressed was a struggle and I lost count of how many times I buttoned up my shirt wrong. I left my tie off and tucked into the pocket of my robe, leaving my dorm after applying the minimal makeup I had the ability to do.

I ought to ask Alicia for help, really. Her makeup was always immaculate, never an imperfection in sight.

I exited my dorm a short while after, beginning to follow other students on the trek down for breakfast.

"Morning sunshine." Evan appeared at my side, smiling.

"Not so loud." I warned him with a hiss whilst massaging my temples.

He laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, steering me round the final corner and through the impossibly tall doors to the Great Hall.

"Here." He dug a box out of his pocket and opened it to reveal a small, spherical, clear object. He held it out to me.

"What's that?" I asked dubiously.

"Health-restorer bead. Hold it on your tongue until it goes soft and then swallow it. They're used for everything from simple headaches to Quidditch injuries."

I accepted it from his fingertips.

"I've never heard of these before, thank you."

I popped it into my mouth and did as he said. The bead tasted of toothpaste and was warm; I pulled a face, grimacing.

"I never said it was pleasant." He shrugged, noticing my expression of distaste.

The air in here was much cooler and more refreshing than that of my dorm room, as I hadn't yet had the chance to figure out how to open the door to the mini balcony.

We waved at Poppy and Amelia, whom were sat chatting to other Slytherins, as we passed.

"How are you so...?" I searched for the right word as we sat down on the same side of the Slytherin table. "Joyful?"

He removed his arm, withdrawing warmth, and adjusted his place on the bench, but shuffled closer to my side.

"Easy answer there: I steer clear of those little vials of hell, unlike yourself." He teased as he poured pumpkin juice into a pair of empty goblets. He set one down in front of me and I muttered a thanks. "I don't like anything that messes with my emotions or mood like that."

"Fair enough." I sighed and looked along the table, desperately scanning the foods. Cereals, bags of oats and porridge, toast and bacon - other cooked breakfast too - lined the centre. I followed Evan's lead in selecting foods and cutlery. My mouth salivated as I put bacon and pancakes onto my plate before drizzling syrup all over the top.

"Well, well, well... look who's alive." Alicia commented with a grin as she sat down across from me, Scorpius at her side.

I furrowed my brows, fork holding a triangle of pancakes and bacon in my mouth.