chapter 36

You're not special for winning a game
With someone who you know was never playing
She could've killed you
She had every right
You just caught her off guard tonight

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈•゚。

Delirium.

It was intoxicating, the promise of new bloodshed. The brink of war was breathing down their throats and soon, claws and teeth would mix in one of the bloodiest battles known to the clans.

Dawnstar was perched on a jutting rock which overlooked a steep fall, the view absolutely breathtaking. Rolling mountains covered in a thick blanket of snow, the sky a heavenly shade of pink which seemed to embrace FallClan's territory in a calm, protective shield.

It was surreal now.

As she padded home, her crystalline gaze seemed to take in every inch of her territory, still ashen and dead.

However an inexplainable feeling rose within her as her gaze fell onto— ironically enough— fire poppies. The first flowers which bloomed within her scarred lands, promising the hope for rebirth.

As Dawnstar stepped paw into her home, all eyes were set on her, though they weren't fueled by hatred. Instead, it was something much more determined.

A part of her was convinced that if she led her clan to victory, her sins would be erased and she could finally become herself.

Not the version her father wanted her to be.

But herself, all in all.

That night, she let sleep consume her, her dreams at bay. For once, she was given true rest to awake the next morning, the sound of gentle rainfall humming a comforting melody in her ears.

"The clouds seem much angrier in the distance." A somber voice lulled, that of Brinebloom. Dawnstar looked at the sky as he spoke, watching as the blackened clouds drifted closer to them.

"I think it's very telling." She spoke in return which elicited a questioning glance from her brother.

"We're in the calm of the storm," Dawnstar explained as she met his deeper blue depth, "metaphorically and literally."

"Very telling indeed." Brinebloom responded, though something flickered beneath his cerulean gaze, something that seemed almost guilty. Dawnstar stared at her brother for a brief moment before she looked back out to camp, watching as her warriors trained with Viperstar's in the gelid rain, sharing their clans' individual fighting techniques.

They were driven, she'd give them that much.

"Brinebloom."

"Yes?"

Dawnstar grew quiet once more, trying to piece together the words she wanted to say, though she knew she'd never truly be able to put it the way she wanted.

"I want you to know that I'll do better, I promise." She spoke, looking at him with a vulnerability she had never shown to her brother before. "After this war is over, I swear I will do everything in my power to fix what I've broken. You're my brother, and I know I don't tell you this enough but I love you, more than you know."