chapter 15

"Seasons have the force to change our moods. Our lives. Our prospectives. There are some things we are in control of, but one thing we have no control over is change. The seasons teach us this."

"What does this have to do with anything?" Risingpaw muttered as she stared at Dawncurl with bored almond-shaped eyes.

"Because the gathering is in a few days and I'm already guaranteed a spot. That means you're going too, so you have to understand the symbolism behind our ways and the clans' culture."

"Wait," Risingpaw grinned, "I'm going to the gathering?"

"Out of everything I've said, that's all you managed to pick up?" Dawncurl sighed.

"Yeah?" She questioned but Dawncurl ignored her frustration with the apprentice and continued speaking.

"Our clans are named after the seasons. SpringClan represents new beginnings, the revival of new life and prosperity. SummerClan represents extravagance and youth and they're known as the calm before a storm. We symbolize the harvest of maturity, change and preservation. Lastly, WinterClan depicts isolation and ironically enough, warmth. Though they are known to start in turmoil, they also represent the light at the end of a tunnel that shows anything is possible."

"Interesting." Risingpaw spoke, however Dawncurl easily detected the condescending tone which laced her voice.

"That's all you need to know for now, come on before we're late for the group training." Dawncurl sighed as she motioned for her apprentice to follow.

Eventually they made it to Needle Point where Flowerbee had conducted a group training session for all the apprentices, and Dawncurl felt her irritation instantly vanish as her eyes met a familiar shade of green.

Doveflutter; her mate. They never really asked the official question, but they didn't need to. Their feelings were clear, and that's all the assurance they needed.

"Hey you." The calico purred as she nosed her neck in greeting, Dawncurl purring in turn.

"Okay lovebirds, save it for later." Flowerbee playfully mocked which resulted in Doveflutter whispering an embarrassed apology to her former mentor.

"Okay, I'm separating you all into two groups. The hunting group and the fighting group." The deputy began. She waited for a few moments before continuing, "the fighting group will be Duskfur, Fernpaw, Doveflutter and Redpaw. You other six will be the hunting group. I'll be evaluating both of the lessons, and adding in any critiques necessary." Flowerbee explained as she offered the assembled cats a faint smile before sending them off.

Dawncurl stared at her apprentice then to Nightglow and Tealpool who stood with their own apprentices, Shadepaw and Oceanpaw.

"Let's get started, I suppose." Nightglow shrugged.

The rest of the lesson resulted in teaching the apprentices different techniques then testing them, and Dawncurl easily noticed that her own apprentice seemed to excel best in hunting rather than combat. It was a long day, but Flowerbee finally dismissed the group when dusk began to approach.

The days leading up to the gathering were slow and Dawncurl could not be any more apprehensive. Although her father hadn't informed her of any new game plan to take Fishcape back, she knew that whatever was waiting for them wouldn't be very pretty.

As she had assumed, she was chosen to go along with her apprentice, Doveflutter, Lionglare and a few others. As nightfall settled, they set on the trip to WinterClan who would be hosting the season's gathering. Since departing late, they were the final clan to arrive and Dawncurl instantly spotted the familiar gray pelt of Bluepaw, however she either failed to recognize her or the SpringClan molly was blatantly ignoring her on purpose.