chapter 30

Her entire concept of time was stilled and it was just her and the world. The cruel, relentless world.

Swanflutter always told her to appreciate the beauty of the world but she didn't find anything beautiful. Not anymore. She figured if everyone viewed everything as beautiful, they were deluded. She knew. She knew because she experienced it firsthand.

The truth wasn't very beautiful. It was ugly and it was painful.

As every contraction convulsed inside of her, Dawnstar found herself slipping in and out of her thoughts, replacing them with the agonizing pain that rippled within her and left her with only minutes of solace.

Graypetal was by her side, constantly aiding her and helping her through the process. Half of her felt eased to have her former mentor with her, however another part of her just wanted him to leave and let her deal with it on her own.

"Graypetal!"

Dawnstar lifted her head immediately as a frantic voice screamed in her ears just to see Hiddenpaw, her deep blue eyes full of terror.

"They're coming! They're coming to the medicine cat den!" The gray-black medicine cat apprentice urged, her fear not easing Dawnstar's own lurking nerves. Despite her flaky conscience, she knew of the dire situation they were being placed in. They were completely vulnerable to an attack, and she couldn't do anything to help.

Dawnstar wasn't left to dwell on the thoughts for long as an involuntary scream left her mouth, the pain getting immensely more intense.

"These kits are coming now." Graypetal hissed, quickly grabbing a few herbs as Hiddenpaw looked behind her to see the approaching warriors.

"I can't!" Dawnstar finally heaved out, her breathing growing labored. "I can't right now! They aren't safe!"

Her gaze lingered with Graypetal's and everything seemed to stop. The screaming yowls outside. Her rushing heartbeat. Everything.

"Spottedbee! Risingflame!" Hiddenpaw yelped, the enthusiasm and relief in her voice enough to let Dawnstar relax.

Time was fast now. It was so unbelievably fast.

She felt numb. She felt completely and utterly numb. Every sensation was stilled. Every thought was faint. Every sound was silenced.

"A she-kit!"

She heard faintly. So faintly that she wasn't even sure she was hearing correctly.

Another kit came; a tom this time.

"You're doing great, Dawnstar." Graypetal assured, the smile on his face blurred between her hazed vision.

"Doesn't feel like it." She croaked out, a rasp lining the edge of her voice. Both Graypetal and Hiddenpaw laughed softly, the serenity in the both of them calming her down.

Eventually another kit came.

"She looks just like you." Hiddenpaw purred, deep ocean blue eyes warm.

"Hey you guys." Risingflame spoke, announcing her greeting silently with a flick of her tail. "Dawnstar! They're so cute." She grinned.

"Shouldn't you be out fighting?" Dawnstar rasped.

"I was, sent that SpringClan cat running. Even had his tail between his legs!" Risingflame boasted.

"You're not supposed to be here." Graypetal spoke as he was sorting through herbs, Hiddenpaw cleaning the kits as Dawnstar was too weak to do so.

"You really think I, of all cats, cares?" Risingflame nearly hummed which resulted in a scoff from her mentor.