chapter 6

The first time Dawnpaw could recall being scared goes back to when she was a kitten. She and Brinepaw had snuck into the warriors' den. They meant no harm, however later in the day, all the nests had been completely destroyed. Her father yelled at her and Brinepaw like he never had before and she remembered crying into her mother's fur the whole night.

Turns out, it was Dovepaw who had wrecked the den, and it was Dovepaw who blamed it on them.

Now, Dawnpaw was terrified once more, and the only other cat who she could relate this feeling to was— of all cats— Dovepaw.

Because no matter how much she despised the calico, now they were in the same boat. They were both terrified, and now they both had one common goal.

Getting back home.

Harvestleaf had brought them to an unused den, a prisoner den. FallClan had one too, however she had never seen it in use. Now she was the one being used in one.

Dawnpaw was perched at one end of the den, completely curled up by herself, and Dovepaw was on the opposite side; she seemed much smaller than usual.

The two sat in complete silence, both with drumming hearts, until the silence was broken as three cats entered the den.

She instantly recognized Harvestleaf. Beside him was a ginger tomcat, and on his other side was a light brown molly with white markings and green eyes.

"Greetings," the she-cat started, her tone terrifyingly bleak, "I'm Ivystar. This is my deputy, Yellowbird, and you've already met Harvestleaf."

She seemed young, younger than most leaders, however Dawnpaw hoped she was fair. It was against the warrior code to kill another cat, much less an apprentice. It gave her little hope, but hope nonetheless.

"Listen, I don't wish to hurt you both, and if you cooperate, you will be just fine. However," the brindled molly paused, gaze momentarily moving between the both of them, "the faster your clan decides to behave is a different story."

To her shock, this time Dovepaw spoke up, her voice a mere whisper.

"When will you let us go home?"

"Soon, I hope. But again, it all depends on your leader." She murmured, her eyes softening.

"You see, you're our leverage to get Sunstar to cooperate." Yellowbird then spoke up, Harvestleaf nodding beside him. "Once he agrees to surrender Fishcape to us, you will both be escorted back home, and no one has to get hurt."

"And if he doesn't agree to your terms?" After a small silence, Dawnpaw finally questioned, slanted blue gaze narrowing on the splotched molly before her.

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

~~~

"Do you think Sunstar will surrender Fishcape?"

Nightfall had settled, and despite many attempts to sleep, Dawnpaw couldn't. As Dovepaw spoke up, she felt eased to know the calico couldn't, either.

"Honestly," the medicine cat apprentice paused, "I don't know. I hope he does, but-"

"You don't think we're a big enough price to pay?"

Dawnpaw fell quiet, finally meeting rounded sage eyes as she sighed, nodding in defeat.

"Yeah. Something like that."

The two fell into another silence, but Dovepaw didn't say anything else, so Dawnpaw placed her head down as she tried to sleep, though it was just another failed attempt. Instead, she let her mind wander. The warrior stationed to guard them was a white molly with many black freckles, however she had fallen asleep. For a mere second, she contemplated escaping, but then she'd have to make it out of camp, which was also guarded. Not to mention, she wasn't familiar with SpringClan territory.