chapter 10

There wasn't a single word which could explain the multitude of emotions Dawnpaw was feeling. Her mind felt like a ticking time bomb, ready to explode at any given time. It was early and the day was nearly perfect. It almost felt symbolic when given the circumstance.

Tigertaunt had already left with the first raid and she had nothing but relentless nerves. They had left before she woke up and it made her sick, and unbelievably so. Leopardpaw was in the first raid and she hated not being able to say goodbye to her- just in case. She and the bubbly bengal had always talked about going into battle together, so it just hurt that she wasn't able to be with her.

Then the first raid would return home seemingly have being defeated, only for the next to head back out for another round. Dawnpaw would be with them, and by tomorrow's nightfall, she would be heading back to her captivators to finish what her clan had started. She wasn't sure if excitement was the right word to explain it, but she was more than ready to defend her clan.

Though something was bothering her, and she wasn't sure who she could talk to because simply, she didn't think they'd understand; even Dawnpaw struggled pinpointing whatever it was that was daunting her. Brinepaw told her he wasn't upset with her, but it was obvious that he was. Her best friend was out bleeding for their home, so Dawnpaw couldn't confide in her. She thought about Swanflutter, but her mother wouldn't understand her feelings, even though she'd try to. Dawnpaw didn't know what she needed reassurance on and she didn't know what was upsetting her, but she did know who would understand where she was coming from, even though she hated to admit it.

Dovepaw.

While the rest of her clan were off in groups as they prepared for the next raid, the calico was on her own in silent solitude, just as Dawnpaw was. The two were in an uncomfortably awkward position, hanging over the delicate line between hate and love- well, more like Dovepaw had been trying to make amends ever since they were kidnapped, but Dawnpaw was way too stubborn to completely forgive her because she had an overnight change of heart. Dawnpaw always wondered if Dovepaw would still be tormenting her if the two weren't forced together back in SpringClan.

The pale she-cat wasn't really left to think about it for long as she felt her paws carrying her to the other apprentice before she was right beside her, because despite everything, Dawnpaw knew that deep down, she had grown to have some kind of care about the calico. She remembered seeing Dovepaw with Creamlily, her sage gaze which used to be full of such hatred was instead full of raw, genuine fear that made Dawnpaw's heart shatter and she could recall growing immensely defensive over a cat who had once been her enemy. Funny how emotions work.

"Hey," Dawnpaw began slowly, "can I sit?"

Dovepaw's sage gaze instantly flickered up, a faint smile crossing her face as she made room for the other apprentice. Dawnpaw smiled in return, settling beside the calico as she offered her an awkward smile.

"I feel weird." She finally blurted out, breaking her gaze away from Dovepaw's as she laid her head on her paws, Dovepaw's small silence far from comforting.

"I get what you mean," The calico finally sighed, "it's like I'm nervous, but I don't know what I'm nervous of. I've dreamed of the day I'd go into battle since I was a kitten— don't get me wrong, I'm still excited— but it feels different."

"Yeah," Dawnpaw paused, hesitant to continue saying what she had planned in her head, "I think it's because of-"

"Creamlily nearly killing me?"

Dawnpaw just stared at her, a little stunned by her bluntness, but she just nodded before Dovepaw spoke again.

"Ivystar seems ruthless in a really terrifying way, but we'll have backup this time. We will be okay."

Dawnpaw just nodded, however she already felt something in her change. Her mind seemed to clear, like a reset almost. She just knew that no matter how much she claimed to hate the calico, it was clear that she drew comfort from her as well.

Love and hate, such a thin line, however Dawnpaw had never felt something so intense before.

~~~

As the raid returned, the clan was sent into a frenzy. Dawnpaw was instantly by Leopardpaw's side, the bengal not nearly as lively as before. Her gaze was dull, her fur matted with blood. Luckily there were no deaths, and the white she-cat had spent the entire night by her friend's side in the medicine cat den, pestering Graypetal nonstop who had to constantly reassure her that Leopardpaw would be fine. Besides Leopardpaw, the den was full of injured cats, Spottedbee having it the worst. Although he wouldn't admit it, she knew Graypetal was worried about him.

Morning came and she seemed to drown in nerves, however she constantly reassured herself that she'd have the upper hand considering SpringClan would never suspect another attack. However she had to remind herself to remain calm. She worked best that way and it seemed to make her mind stronger. Most importantly, she couldn't disappoint her father.

Dusk began to settle in, and that's when she heard Sunstar's call from where she lay, curled up by Leopardpaw's makeshift nest.

"Hey D," Leopardpaw rasped, her eyes focusing on the white she-cat, "you have to win, promise me you'll win."

Dawnpaw stared at her before placing her paw on the her friend's paw, her gaze softening.

"I promise."

~~~

Dawnpaw's heart seemed to be drumming constantly. The moon had settled high in the sky, and the pale she-cat was walking in tune with her father who requested he stay near her. The second raid was on their way to ambush SpringClan once again, and this time, Dawnpaw was determined to win.

For her clan. For Leopardpaw. For her father.

She walked in silence, switching between listening to Tigertaunt's conversation with Sunstar and focusing on her own thoughts which she tried to organize. She went over every move she had been taught and every one which felt most natural to her. Dawnpaw was taught to be analytical since she could remember, and it had basically been engraved in her mind. Sometimes she thought it made her too critical.

Soon she entered into the unfamiliar territory, greeted by Dovepaw who seemed to share her unexpected confidence.

"I know this is to ensure Ivystar behaves, but to me, it almost feels like vengeance." The calico murmured, glancing up to her.

"To us, I think it is. They took us and held us hostage. It makes me feel more powerful to think of it as vengeance." Dawnpaw shrugged, Dovepaw just nodding.

However as the camp came into sight, Sunstar paused, silencing his clan as he turned to face them, his copper gaze shining fiercely in the glistening moonlight.

"Today, we fight to keep what rightfully belongs to us. Ivystar might have lost her honor but we most definitely have not. We are not here to kill, but instead to spread a message that we will not be underestimated. I ask of you all to fight with dignity and just." The leader spoke, his words canny and encouraging as he glanced around at his clan.

"I'm so glad that I get to fight alongside such respectable warriors, and I have you all to thank for making FallClan what it is." Sunstar continued, which resulted in the assembled warriors dipping their heads in respect to their leader.

"I can promise you Sunstar that we are all equally as proud to fight alongside such a wonderful leader." Flowerbee spoke, and Sunstar offered the molly a gentle smile before he motioned for his clan to follow him through the underbrush.

Dawnpaw followed the golden leader who led his clan through brush before making it to trees which looked over SpringClan's camp. Her clan each began to crawl into the trees which loomed over camp and she did the same. As she situated herself on one of the hanging branches, her blue gaze met Dovepaw's sage stare, the two sharing a knowing glance before nodding to each other in a silent good luck.

Suddenly, everything grew quiet and Dawnpaw almost felt as if time had paused. Not a single zephyr brushed the land and even her heartbeat seemed to go still, until the word they all had been waiting on was called, and it all hit her that this was real.

"Attack!"