Chapter 3 - Kindling Fire

Start from the beginning

"Sure, go ahead" Aria says not looking up from the book. As Jeff and Clint leave, Gally appears and sits on the cot. Their eyes met, then they both looked away. Aria takes a bandage and tends to his wounds. It was silence until Gally spoke.

"I didn't mean what-"

"It's okay. You know you don't have to be protective over me. I can handle protecting myself."

"I didn't say you couldn't. I just don't want anything happening to my best friend. I've been scared ever since you became a runner, but I support you. Just don't get killed by a Griever. You are not leaving me with these shanks." Gally joked

Aria laughs wholeheartedly as she wraps his arm with the bandage. Gally's face grew a light pink.

"No promises, Captain." Aria says while saluting

Gally chuckles and wraps his arms around her. Hugging her tight. She does the same. The two hug each other for some time before pulling away. He smirks and lifts her up, a squeal comes from her as he takes her outside the hut.

"Gally! Put me down!" Aria says while laughing

"Nope"

The boys in the Glade look their way. Looking to see who will confess first. The boys had been betting the relationship for a long time. Newt was the one who initiated the bet. Surprisingly, Alby was in on it too. Gally nor Aria knew about the bet, everyone just keeps it from them.

"Now, you shank! Before I ignore you the rest of the day."

"Alright, Alright!"

Gally lowers her down while laughing. And so does she. They see the stares around the Glade. Gally blushes slightly and yells at them.

"What are you shanks staring at?! Get back to work!" Gally shouts

The boys quickly get to work. Gally relax at Aria's touch on the shoulder.

"You should too. I'll see you at the bonfire." Aria said

"Alright, see you there."

---------------------------------------------------------

The fire was lit and the boys were gladly drinking and hanging around. Aria sat with Minho, Ben and Chuck. The boys were telling stories from the maze, Newt shows up and hands Aria a drink. Aria goes to take a sip and notices the brown liquid, she playfully rolls her eyes and gives it back to Newt.

"Nice try, Newt."

"Come on Aria, it's been 3 years and you still haven't tried it!" Newt exclaimed

"And I don't intend to either. You, Minho and Gally can still try, but I will never drink it." Aria said

"What is it?" The new Greenie asks

"Give it a try, mate." Newt smirks and hands the Greenie the jar of liquid.

As the Greenie takes a sip, a cough erupted from him and he spits out the drink. The group laughs, including Aria.

"What is this?" The Greenie says still coughing up the drink.

"No one knows, it's Gally's recipe. He makes it himself, I think Aria is the only one who knows what it is." Newt says as he uses his puppy dog eyes to persuade her

"Yeah and I'm not saying. I'm basically his best friend, of course he trusts me with it." Aria laughs and goes over to the circle where Gally was. He was wrestling with Jeff and of course he won.

His eyes fell on Aria and he smirks while extending his hand, as a way of wanting her to take him on in the circle.

"Wanna play our favorite little game, Sailor?" Gally smirks as he sends a wink her way.

She laughs and ties back her brown wavy hair. She accepts his invitation. "I would be honored to, Captain." She flirts back as she steps into the circle.

In a moment of surprise, she pulls him and flips him over. The boys that were gathered around start cheering and egging on.

"You should always be prepared Gally, never know what surprises could happen to you" Aria said teasingly as she waits for Gally to get up

"You've been telling me that for 3 years." He stands up and catches his breath. Him getting into the stance

"Yet, you never learn." She smirks and gets ready.

They wrestle and soon Gally was able to grab her and pin her to the ground while being on top of her

"You should always be prepared Aria, never know what surprises could happen to you." Gally says mockingly

Aria laughs and lifts her hips to make him fall a little foward. As he does, she pushes him down and lands on top of him. Pining him down. The boys cheered and Jeff announces who wins. Aria smirks and whispers in his ear.

"Nice try, Captain. In the ring, I'm always one step ahead of you." Aria says as she gets up and helps a flustered Gally to his feet.

"Now, we should let our new Greenie take me on in the ring." Gally says as he looks appointedly to the Greenie. Zart and Newt shove him forward. Aria steps out of the ring and stands with Minho and Frypan. Gally explains the rules to the Greenie.

As the match went on, the Greenie was tripped by Gally and landed hard on his back. Gally took his praises from everyone around and the Greenie got up. He started shouting.

"THOMAS! I know my name! My name is Thomas!"

Alby claps his hand and redundantly says the name again

"Thomas!"

The boys erupted in cheers and Aria claps along with Minho.

But to her right, she couldn't help but see Gally glaring at Thomas. His glare burning holes in his face.

---------------------------------------------------------

Aria was getting ready to go to sleep when someone knocked on her hut door. She got up and opened the door when she saw Gally.

"I just came to say good night. I'm sorry if I woke you up." Gally says awkwardly

Aria laughs "You didn't, I wasn't asleep yet. But, are you okay? You were glaring hard at Thomas."

"I'm not... jealous." Gally hesitates

"Didn't say you were. What's wrong?" Aria worries.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Goodnight Aria." Gally wraps his arm around her and plants a kiss on her forehead. He heads to his hut to goes to sleep.

"Goodnight."

His forehead kisses were a constant thing, it was only between the two of them. Gally started it 2 years ago after a bonfire for a Greenie. It was when Aria was asleep on his shoulder as he carried her to her hut. But on this particular day, that kiss meant something different.

It wasn't the usual kiss that she's been receiving for the last 2 years. This one was more loving and caring. The others were fun and playful.

She lies awake that night thinking about it. Wondering if he felt the same way she did all these years.