CHAPTER 55

Sunday 10:30 am

"Is that all?" Mr. Ademola inquired.

"That is all sir" Saleem answered as they moved out of the police station.

"Learn to defend yourself in situations like this", He advised. "Why didn't you defend yourself and explain things the way you just did to me now?"

"Sir, it was something I never expected. I couldn't even find my voice."

"Alright, I will talk to my wife. Have you explained yourself to your girl?"

"Not yet, sir." He replied.

"The earlier, the better. Don't give my daughter heartaches. She is going through a tough time already." Mr. Ade smiled at him.

"Will do that right away sir. Thanks for understanding."

"You are always welcome. I am happy to have you as a prospective son-in-law. I trust you with my daughter, please don't break that trust." He patted Saleem's shoulder.

He entered his car as Saleem stood aside waving his hand at him as he zoomed off.

*****
"How are you doing my darling?" Raliat's mother asked the silent girl.

Raliat kept mute as she stared at her mother who watched her closely, dabbing at her wet eyes with a handkerchief.

"I don't know why you are doing this Raliat but I want you to know that I love you so much. Despite the numerous fights, I love you wholeheartedly and unconditionally. You are my child and you came out of me, loving you is inevitable. Even when I pretend not to care, I truly do" her mother continued and sobbed.

Raliat blinked without a word.

"I just came to inform you about something. I know this is not the right time for this but as my first child, you need to know." She said and peered at her again before she continued. "Your father and I have not been on good terms since you went missing and he is accusing me of murdering your fiance." The statement caught Raliat's attention and her mother noticed a flicker of hurt in her daughter's eyes.

"I plan to move out tomorrow", her mother completed and broke down into tears.

It took a while before Raliat could comprehend what her mother meant. She opened her clasped lips and exclaimed "What?", with a grimace.

Her mother raised her head in joy, finally hearing her daughter's voice.

"Your father has lost interest and trust in me. He treats me like trash and enjoys humiliating me in public. I need space. I want to move out. He still doesn't believe that I have no hand in Ayoade's death." She explained.

"Why would he do that? I know you have no hand in this." Raliat responded softly.

"I can never do such a thing. I know how much you loved him." Her mother added.

"I know, mum. I know you didn't kill him."

"You know? I thought you already discussed with your father and that's why you refused to talk to me", Raliat shook her head in response.

"Do you know who is responsible then?" She asked and Raliat went silent again.

"Raliat, you need to say something so we can get you out of here."

"Mummy, don't leave", she pleaded with her mother as a tear dropped from her eyes.

"You need to talk, please. Or are you the guilty one?" Her mother continued, ignoring her plea.

"No mum. I loved him with every fiber in me. I would never hurt him. I can't bear to see him hurt. Mum, a part of me is gone with him, I miss him." She cried.

STIGMAजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें