CHAPTER 13

On Sunday morning, Salamat went back to Nasara and she noticed that the site that was been excavated was already messed up due to the previous day's downpour.

She wondered what the field crew would do considering the damage the rain had caused to their work.

She was glad the whole field was empty. That was the kind of environment she loved. Having the whole field to herself, made her excited and at ease.

Also, the dampness on the rock and the chilly atmosphere made it perfect and she smiled with satisfaction.

'If only life could be this peaceful'.

She sat quietly on the rock, brought out her diary from a small purse, and started scribbling on it with her pen.

Sometimes, I wish the world would go on without me,

At times, I long to be surrounded by friends,

Other times, I wish to be alone.... far away from anyone I know.

Most times, seeing how beautiful nature is, motivates me to keep going,

And in times like this, I feel my wish shouldn't come true.

Only if.......................

"Peace unto you Salamat", she was rudely interrupted by a voice. She raised her head sharply and saw Saleem smiling mischievously as always.

'Why do you keep appearing wherever I go?', she asked within her.

She tried recalling his name all to no avail.

"And unto you too", she replied, looking back at her diary and closing it.

"Where have you been hiding since Friday? I have been looking all around for you", Saleem confessed.

"Why?", she asked rudely, reminding herself that she wasn't ready to make another friend yet.

"Nothing much, just that I like being in the company of very intelligent people", he responded sitting next to her on the rock.

She watched him for a while and quickly looked down when he stared at her. They were silent for a while before she finally spoke up. "Why is the field empty today?"

Saleem replied immediately as if expecting the question. "Sunday mornings are always free but we would all be here later in the evening. I needed to clear my head that's why I decided to take a stroll down here."

Salamat nodded and remained silent.

Saleem broke the silence. "What's bothering you?"

Surprised at the unexpected question, Salamat looked up at him and said "What?"

"Can you tell me what's on your mind?", he asked, in a polite manner.

"It's nothing", she mumbled, looking down and fidgeting with her fingers nervously.

"If it's nothing, why do I see things in your eyes?"

With a baffled look, she asked back sharply, "Things? Like what?"

"I see hurt, betrayal, and disappointment", he remarked.

Salamat's heart tumbled. She was scared he would read through her.

"Will, you now tell me what the problem is?"

"I said it's nothing", she retorted.

"I know it's something because your eyes have said it all", Saleem whispered, expecting a reply.