25. good man

It was a Monday. To Mayu, however, it felt somewhere between a Thursday and a Friday because she'd worked for another seven days straight. Even knowing she was setting herself up for burnout, she continued to latch onto this new future—had to, because her former self wasn't coming back.

When classes ended at four p.m., she was ready to kick back and pass out on the train. Half an hour later, parents had come and gone, and the only child remaining was Suzu—her brightest pupil and a doe-eyed girl already showing signs of a hopeless romantic.

When neither of her parents showed after forty-five minutes, Mayu started to grow testy and Suzu started to show distress.

"Ohara-sensei," she called out in a small voice, "do you think my mom forgot about me?"

Mayu shook her head. She sat down next to Suzu and patted her head. "No way that a mother will ever forget about her child."

"Do you think something bad happened to her?"

Now that was a legitimate concern. "Why don't I give her a call?" She walked up to the desk and pulled out a phone book containing contact information for her students' primary contacts. When she dialed for Suzu's mother, she was shuttled straight to voicemail.

To Suzu, she asked, "Do you have your father's number?"

"He's away for business in Fukuoka."

Just perfect. Mayu suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. Peeking down the corridor, she caught a glimpse of the janitor coming around to clean up. Packing up her things, she instructed Suzu to do the same. "Let's wait for your mom by the school gates. I'll keep calling while we wait."

Suzu nodded meekly even though she was visibly upset.

Dusk had deepened from coral to crimson as they stood before the wrought iron gates. Holding tight onto Mayu's hands, Suzu asked in a quivering voice, "Ohara-sensei, is she answering yet?"

"Not yet."

"Do you think she's okay?"

Mayu looked at Suzuku's furrowed brows and her large Bambi eyes. While she could be one of those adults who provided reassurance—real or not—in every situation, condescending confidence wasn't in her nature. Flicking off her phone, Mayu knelt down until they were at eye level.

"I don't know, Suzu-chan," she touched her hair. "But sensei will stay here and wait with you until she comes. And if she doesn't come, you can stay with me for the night."

This seemed to pacify Suzu somewhat. In that instant, they heard a deep rumble of a motorbike followed by rubber tires screeching against the asphalt.

When she spun around, Mayu saw the familiar Kawasaki motorbike. She watched in astonishment as Echizen Ryoma removed his helmet and shook out his hair.

"Uncle Echizen!" squealed Suzu, her eyes suddenly brighter than the evening stars.

Mayu stood up slowly as Suzu bolted towards him for a bear hug. With a big grin on his face, Ryoma lifted Suzu off the ground and gave her a twirl in midair.

"Are you here to take me home?" asked Suzu hopefully.

"You got it," he said, putting her down and mussing her hair. "Sorry for the long wait. You must've been scared, huh?"

Suzu shook her head. "No way! I had my favorite teacher with me!"

Ryoma looked up and took notice of Mayu, his smile widening. "We meet again, Mayu-san."

"Just Mayu," she corrected. "Nice to see you again."

"So you're a teacher, too?"

"I'm a language teacher here."

"And working at the tennis association," he said thoughtfully. "You're a jack of all trades, aren't you?"

"I like to keep busy," she said.

"I can see that," he remarked. "It's the first time I've seen a woman without a kid working two jobs. And I doubt money is an issue for you, am I right?"

Mayu met his piercing eyes. Something about his gaze brought her an unprecedented chill. With a lukewarm smile, she said, "I don't think I'm obligated to answer that." Deciding to return to business, she asked, "Is Suzu's mom your sister?"

"Nanako's my older cousin."

"Do you know what happened to her?"

"She has to stay behind to deal with a difficult client. I got her call for help ten minutes ago and rushed here. Thankfully the school is only a block down from the association."

"Thankfully." Eyeing his motorbike warily, she said, "But if you're taking her back on that, I'd rather see Suzu home myself."

"Of course not, I was going to call a taxi." Eyes probing her face, he asked, "What kind of man do you think I am?"

Again choosing not to respond, Mayu knelt down to say goodbye to Suzu and left without looking at Ryoma twice, thinking the farther she stayed, the better.

***

On Tuesdays, Mayu only taught three classes. The day passed uneventfully. She spent her spare hours in the teacher's lounge, catching up on the latest event files sandwiched between course prep pamphlets. 

After teaching her last class, parents sequentially arrived to pick up their child. Today, Suzu's mother was thankfully the first to show up, and surprisingly, with Ryoma at her side. 

Deciding to ignore him, Mayu engaged in small talk with Nanako. When they exchanged goodbyes and Ryoma still showed no signs of leaving, she said, "Shouldn't you be going with them?"

"No, because I came to see you," he said, point-blank.

Mayu stared at him. "Why?"

"I thought I should thank you for staying late with Suzu yesterday," he said, then added smartly, "on behalf of Nanako."

"Appreciation accepted," answered Mayu, watching the last child leave with their parents. "Now I have to go home."

"I'm not as cheap as to give only a verbal thank-you to someone who helped my niece," said Ryoma, keeping pace next to her. "How about dinner?"

She stopped short. "I think you're overdoing it."

"I think you're holding back. Don't worry, it's my treat."

She met his eyes for a moment, finding no clues in the sharp amber of his irises. In the end, curiosity got the better of her and she declared, "Fine. Since you're offering, I'd like to go to a French restaurant in Azabu."

"You got it."

***

a/n: It took me some time to get here, but Ryoma's finally taking action, and so we're getting into the danger zone ... Thank you for all who are reading ^^ If you're enjoying the story, please leave a vote or a comment~