3. dumb

Back at home, the delicious dinner and exuberant chats made Mayu forget about her stupidly agreeing to meet Tezuka again. Only laying in her bed that night did she realize that she'd just signed up for an indefinite amount of uncomfortable silence and stiff conversations. Fuji Shuusuke might've started this setup, but she was the idiot continuing it. 

Two days later, as the clock inched closer to the last bell, Mayu was acutely aware that she needed a plan.

"How did your first session with Tezuka go?" Fuji asked as they were packing up to leave.

"As great as it can get," she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I can tell, since you're meeting him today."

"He told you?"

Fuji nodded. Lowering his voice, he said conspiratorially, "I also saw him walk you back."

"I know. I saw your light come on." She scowled at him. "You're being creepy."

"Well. It is my house, and you two were right at the front gate," Fuji smiled widely. "You know, he gave you a glowing review. You're an outstanding tutor when it comes to foreign languages. He's eager to return the favor."

"That's just fantastic," sighed Mayu.

As if reading her thoughts, Fuji said, "Tezuka's slow to warm up, but it will eventually happen."

"Right. Eventually."

"You'll find he has a lot to teach. He has the highest grade in our year after all and he likes to help students who are struggling."

"Is that so?" Zipping up her bag, an idea sparked in Mayu's mind. If Tezuka Kunimitsu was as eager to help as Fuji said, then she knew the perfect remedy to their problems.

***

Like last time, Mayu met Tezuka at the neighbourhood café. Not surprisingly, he was early again even though she sprinted from the subway station. Instead of frustration, however, she felt a bubbling eagerness to test out her theory. She'd read and seen enough to know this was a classic case of dumb-girl-cool-guy issue.

Smoothing her windblown hair and uniform, she strutted up to his table, gave her standard greetings and ordered a green tea. Across from her, Tezuka was reading an all-time Japanese classic, The Tale of Genji. Written in the eleventh century, the book used archaic language and was virtually incomprehensible to the average Japanese person. As high-school seniors, they only studied sections. Even then, it was always left as the hardest part of a test.

Mayu suppressed the urge to grin. Even the universe was helping her execute the plan.

Feigning a troubled expression, she motioned to the book in his hand. "You know, I could use some help with that. Tackling Japanese is hard enough, but reading that thing is impossible!"

Tezuka examined the cover thoughtfully. "I'd be happy to help. It won't be hard once you break it down."

"Really? Our classes started analyzing a few sections and it all looks like gibberish to me."

"We'll take it sentence by sentence, then you'll understand in no time."

"I'd better!" said Mayu with an exaggerated sigh. "I already did terrible on past tests and I can't afford another bad grade."

Recognizing the severity of the situation, Tezuka nodded sternly. "In that case, let's get started. Do you have your work with you?"

Mayu nodded and presented him with her workbook. When he flipped it open to find empty pages, his frown deepened. Locating the appropriate section, he laid the workbook on the table and pointed to the top of the page. "Let's start here. Do you know what this phrase means?"