5. chocolate

Not wanting to read too deeply into Fuji's intent, Mayu decided to carry on as usual. Bad luck, however, didn't seem to give her a break. On Monday, her period started with a vengeance. While Mayu normally would've rested, it was close to midterms and she was struggling with the latest Japanese content.

After a painfully long subway ride and an even more excruciating walk, she limped into the coffee shop and found Tezuka already on his second cup of tea.

He stood up immediately when he saw her stagger through the door. Mayu figured she must've looked as awful as she felt.

"Are you feeling okay?" he asked and lugged back the chair for her.

"Absolutely not," she croaked. Waving over the waiter, she ordered hot chocolate and a slice of black forest cake.

Once they were left alone, Tezuka said, "If you're hungry, please eat first. I don't mind waiting."

"I should be okay with those. For now. This period is killing me." Immediately after these words left her, Mayu clamped her mouth shut. "Sorry. Too much information."

To her surprise, Tezuka showed no trace of discomfort. Instead, he said, "Maybe you should take a rest day. We could meet another time."

"I have lots of questions for you. If we don't get through them all, I might not do so well on the next test—really not do well." Trying to lighten the conversation, she made a face, "Guess you're stuck watching me eat all this chocolate."

"Does it help?"

"Works like a charm on cramps. Ideally, I prefer dark chocolate, which is impossible to find around Tokyo. I'll have to work with the weaker chocolates I can get, even if it's in larger quantities..." Realizing she was blathering on about her female troubles again, she grimaced, "Sorry. Anyhow, let's go through a few questions before the food gets here."

***

After a hot chocolate, two slices of cake and three chocolate bars, Mayu shockingly felt worse the next day. Whatever was in those pseudo-chocolate products only riled up her symptoms. Not wanting to miss any classes and risk her grades, Mayu forced herself to get dressed and painstakingly made her way to school.

"Wow, and I thought it'd be impossible for you to get paler," remarked Fuji as soon as she changed into her school slippers.

She glared at him. "If I were you, I'd watch your mouth. You have no clue what girls are capable of on their periods."

"Don't worry," he grinned, "pale doesn't mean you are any less pretty."

"That's more like it."

As they walked to class, he said, "To be honest, I thought for sure you'd stay home today. Looks like Tezuka's right."

"He talked to you about me?"

"This morning." Presenting her with a carefully wrapped box, Fuji winked, "He wanted to make sure I gave you this on time."

Noticing his gesture immediately attracted scowls and whispers from bystanders, Mayu swatted at him. "Don't give me things in public! Are you trying to get your admirers to come after me when I'm the most vulnerable?"

"This is from Tezuka. I'm just the delivery boy."

"They don't know that!"

"I'll take care of public opinion. How's that?"

Hearing her safety was guaranteed, Mayu grudgingly accepted.

When Fuji noticed she was putting the box into her bag, he pressed. "Aren't you going to open it?"

"Classes are about to start."

"You have five minutes. That's more than enough."

"And you want to know what's inside," sneered Mayu.

"You got it."

Knowing he wasn't going to quit nagging, Mayu relented and tore open the sealing tape. Opening the top flap, she found an assortment of Swiss chocolate bars ranging from 70% to 90%.

Smiling slyly, Fuji said, "So this is why he left so quickly after giving me the package... Though I expected his gift to be more romantic. Don't girls prefer fancy chocolates or truffles?"

Mayu didn't answer right away. The chocolate bars before her were the types she always bought at grocery stores back home. Somehow, he'd managed to get the exact range she preferred.

To Fuji, she asked, "Where would you even find these?"

"I've never seen them around." Flipping one over, he examined the packaging and said, "If these are made in Switzerland, they're likely from a specialty food store. There aren't many of those in Tokyo. He must've gone around the city searching."

Unable to find a response, Mayu looked back down at the chocolates in hand. Even though she was holding pieces of home, it had never felt farther, and she had never felt more glad to be away. She knew teenage boys in Europe would never be as observant or thoughtful to go through the trouble.

***

After classes finished, Fuji had tennis practice and left as soon as the bell rang. Instead of going home solo, Mayu decided to thank Tezuka. She was down to the last of her chocolate stash and it would be rude to stay silent to his lifesaving gift.

She took the link corridor to the next building over. Half of the classrooms remained filled with students running various afterschool clubs or chatting about what happened during the day. She passed the juniors' and freshmen's wings then crossed the schoolyard. Encircled by a copse of cherry trees and tucked in a secluded section of the school grounds, she found Seigaku's tennis courts.

Practice seemed to be getting off to a start. Most members were sent out to run laps while those wearing blue-and-white jerseys occupied the central courts to start matches. A good number of spectators had gathered to watch the top players of their school, most being girls tittering with each other and bouncing on their toes to get a clear view.

Spotting Tezuka at the front, she watched him from afar as he provided instructions to his team, appearing even more stoic than usual. Once he finished speaking, the huddle of people dispersed in pairs and headed towards their assigned courts. Mayu's eyes followed Tezuka as he walked off with a younger boy sporting gelled, spikey hair. She waited until they settled at the outermost court before searching for an opening around the perimeter.

The referee was a shy-looking freshman tentatively tossing up his racket to determine the first service. Finding a spot on Tezuka's side of the court, she watched his side profile as he waited for his opponent's service. When that first serve came, his return shot back as swift and clean as a bullet out of the barrel. She watched his nimble footing and practiced posture as he whipped one shot after another across the court. No matter the angle of attack, his responses stayed immediate and effortless. In no time, he'd already secured the first game.

When the time came to switch courts, his opponent was already growing flustered. Tezuka intercepted the younger boy at the courtside to give him a few pointers then headed towards the opposite baseline.

In his new position, he now faced Mayu. A hint of surprise crossed his face when he saw her. Meeting his gaze, Mayu gave him a small wave. From her bag, she fished out the remaining chocolate bar and mouthed a silent "thank you". 

Before he had a chance to respond, however, the younger player had already stepped into position and obstructed her view.