2. awkward

When Mayu found her slippers gone for the third time in a row, she decided to go to class without shoes altogether.* Despite being one of the earliest to arrive, she still received plenty of staring on her five-minute walk of shame. Amidst whispers and clandestine pointing, Mayu did the only thing she could do: she kept her chin high and breezed by gracefully. 

There was a handful of students in the classroom when she arrived—Fuji being one of them. Hearing snickering, he turned to see Mayu strut in with only her socks.

He spun around to face her desk. "What happened to your slippers?"

"They disappeared again."

"Again?"

"Someone's been taking them."

Eyebrows furrowed, he asked, "Have you spoken to the school counselors about this? I can also go with you to get spare shoes."

"No thanks, I've done that twice already." Unloading her knapsack, Mayu said, "I'm sick of going when they're so obviously powerless."

Fuji was quiet for a minute. Leaning closer to her, he asked in a near-whisper, "Has anything similar been happening? If it has, you can tell me."

"No," she eyed him, "not yet anyway. I suspect it will. Very soon."

Weighing these words, Fuji met her eyes, "What makes you say that?"

Lips pursed, Mayu briefly looked up: sure enough, four seats before her, the group of girls previously snickering were now shooting her the evil eye. It was exactly as she suspected. "You're quite popular, Fuji-san, aren't you?"

"I'm surprised you figured it out in a week."

She thought about the not-so-subtle signs: the way other girls quieted when he entered the room, their looks of pining and envy, and the cutting glare she'd frequently received each time they walked together. "It's impossible to miss."

"I guess so."

"It's a little sad, really," she said with a sigh. "Here I thought I escaped childish nonsense by doing my exchange at one of the most civilized and disciplined countries in the world... Though it looks like high school is the same everywhere."

Fuji appeared thoughtful. "I suppose it's a bit disappointing, isn't it?" Looking at her again, he said sheepishly, "I'm sorry it's troubling you."

She took a good, hard look at him. In his blue eyes, she saw faint glimmers of smugness. "You're not sorry at all. In fact, I'd say you're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Ah. You caught it."

Mayu glowered.

Lips curling at the corners, Fuji confessed, "I didn't expect this to happen, but I'm glad to get these girls off my back. I'm not into the whole admiration stuff. So if they think something's going on between us, that means I'm off the watchlist and I can finally live in peace."

"That's all nice and fine," Mayu wiggled her feet, "but I'm going to be collateral damage."

"Tell you what—as long as you don't burst their speculations, I'll keep an eye out for you." Standing up, Fuji offered, "In fact, I'm going to replace your slippers today and keep them in my locker. How's that?"

"Fine," agreed Mayu. With a hint of menace, she said, "But if I get hurt in any way, Fuji Shuusuke, don't forget I know where you sleep."

Fuji grinned at this. He stuck out a hand and they shook on the dirty deal.