Chapter 44

Snow fell harder and faster as Mintpool travelled back to AirClan's camp with Leafwhisker's kits. They were huddled at her flank, trying to use her body as a shield from the wind and snow. The flurries had gathered on the ground, rising up to Mintpool's ankles. It was all the way up to the poor kits' chins. 

"How much further?" Fernkit asked, her teeth chittering.

The gray tabby leaned down, giving her head a swift lick, trying to warm her up. She's probably going to get a cold! We might not have enough herbs to cure that. "Just a little further." Squinting through the flurries, she even doubted herself whether or not she was going the right direction. White snow whipped everywhere; she couldn't see a thing! And scenting her way would do no good, either. The snow covered all the scents.

Mintpool felt as though her paws were freezing off and her entire body was frozen. She couldn't even imagine how the kits felt. "Let's fine somewhere to rest for the night," she murmured. She knew it wasn't the best idea, but they were all going to be frozen solid by the time they reached camp. 

She gazed around, trying to see through the snowstorm. Wrapping her tail around the kits, making sure she didn't loose them, she led them forward wildly. Frustration pummeled her. She couldn't see a single thing! Suddenly, she halted, almost bumping into a tree.

As she blinked at the trunk, recognition and relief filled her. They were at the Training Hollow! It was a downward slope, with trees and earth hovering over it. Not as good as a warm den, but it would be better than standing out in the cold.

"Come on," Mintpool meowed, pulling the kits into the hollow. 

It felt warmer instantly. Although the trees didn't provide warmth, it gave them shelter, blocking them from the furious sleets of snow. The gray tabby instantly busied herself with drying Fernkit and Stormkit. As soon as the kits were warm again, they yawned, settling into her pelt. 

"Good night," Fernkit mumbled sleepily as Stormkit echoed her words.

"Good night," Mintpool mewed back, watching the two kits drift off to sleep. Settling her head on her paws, she closed her eyes. Exhaustion washed over her, and she was asleep within minutes.

A thump startled Mintpool awake. She blinked her eyes open, leaping onto her paws wildly. Fernkit and Stormkit mumbled a sleepy protest as her warm pelt left them. Bright sunlight beamed onto Mintpool's face and she irritably squinted her eyes to try and see.

Bright, fluffy snow coated everything. It was all a winder wonderland! Everything was covered in snow. The branches were thick with ice and dipped under the weight of the flurries. 

Suddenly, another thump sounded, followed by an annoyed meow. "Woah! There's snow everywhere!" Mintpool recognized that voice instantly. Adderclaw.

"Let's go." A new voice, Robinflight's, now tainted the air. "We need to find this mouse-brained cat. Why she would wander off in the middle of a stormy night, I don't know."

Are they talking about me? Mintpool's pelt bushed up at Robinflight calling her a mouse-brain, and her anger only piled when Adderclaw didn't defend her. Parting her jaws, her brother and Clanmate's scent floated in.

"Mintpool?" Stormkit's sleepy mew sounded from her paws. "What's happening?"

"What was that?" Robinflight's voice was sharp. "Did you hear that, Adderclaw?"

"Hear what?" her brother replied.

"I heard a voice." Silence. Then, paw steps began to crunch the snow. "Come out! You're on AirClan's territory!"