Chapter 23

Mintpaw took a deep breath, collecting herself. She'd only caught glances at the FireClan leader from Gatherings, and to her, he looked terrifying, just as a FireClan cat was described to be. She didn't want to talk to him, but she would have to. 

Icestrike stopped right outside the camp. "This is ridiculous," he growled, turning around. "Tigerstar's not going to agree to see an apprentice!"

The ginger she-cat nodded. "I don't see any point in this."

"Well, if we don't, it'll be against the Warrior Code," the black-furred apprentice mewed. His voice startled Mintpaw, for it was the first time that he'd spoken in her presence. "We should at least let her see him."

"Be quiet, Nightpaw," Icestrike snapped. "We didn't ask for your advice."

Mintpaw fluffed her pelt. She was thankful for Nightpaw's words, and felt bad about the way that Icestrike was talking to him. However, she was impatient. "Can I go see Tigerstar now?"

The FireClan cats' gazes swung towards her, and she almost shrank down. Finally, after considering Nightpaw's words, Icestrike nodded, and led them into the camp. 

The FireClan scent grew stronger as Mintpaw padded inside. The gray tabby bristled her pelt as her nerves grew, gently pressing herself to Cobrastrike's side for comfort. The attention of the cats inside the camp turned towards her, narrowing with suspicion and hostility. However, no cat spoke. Tension hung thick in the air, waiting for someone to talk. Icestrike snorted, but made no other sound. 

"Cobrastrike?" Finally, a cat broke the silence. Mintpaw diverted her gaze towards the voice, and found a gray-and-white she-cat blinking at them. "What's going on? Who's this?"

At her voice, the clearing broke out in chatter. 

"Be quiet, Viperfang!" a tortoiseshell she-cat mewed angrily. "You have no place in this! For all we know, you're just pretending so you can betray the Clan!"

The accusation seemed absolutely ridiculous. 

Viperfang clearly thought so, for her fur bristled. "Believe that if you want, Pebbleclaw, but you're just causing yourself more worry!"

Cobrastrike jumped forward, glaring at the crowd. "How could you say that? What has Viperfang ever done to betray your trust?" Nobody responded. 

Mintpaw blinked. Whoever Viperfang was, Cobrastrike seemed to be very protective over her. Together, the two looked very powerful. However, as they turned away, the gray tabby could see that Viperfang looked weary and rather tired. 

The conversation continued as though the outburst had never happened. 

"What's that AirClan cat doing here? Is she here to see Nightstrike?"

"No," Icestrike called back. "She's here to see Tigerstar."

The Clan had about the same reaction that Icestrike did, talking about disrespect, but Mintpaw was too weary to care. All she wanted was Tigerstar to arrive so she could ask him for help. Worry stirred in her stomach. She hoped her Clanmates were okay.

"Where's Tigerstar?"

"Out on patrol."

"He's not going to be happy when he comes back."

Mintpaw practically shrank in her pelt. She didn't want to face the angry leader of FireClan. The patrol moved away from the gray tabby as Cobrastrike led Viperfang over. The gray-and-white she-cat sat down next to the AirClan tabby, brushing her pelt against hers comfortingly. "Cobrastrike told me that you were here to ask Tigerstar for help."