Chapter 24

Mintpaw raced back towards AirClan's territory. She had always been quick on her paws, and soon pulled ahead of the FireClan patrol in her worry. Yowls filled her ears as they bounded towards the camp, and her paws itched. I hope my Clanmates are okay!

Glancing over her shoulder as she ran, she saw that the FireClan warriors had more of a determined expression now. The disappointed and unwilling glint in Sharpfur, Briarmist, and Windpelt's eyes had faded. They seemed to actually want to help now, perhaps only to prove that they were better than AirClan, as Viperfang had reasoned. Whatever the reason is, Mintpaw was glad that they were going to put in effort. 

As they neared the camp, worry in the gray tabby's belly only grew. What if we're too late? What if one of my Clanmates are seriously hurt? What if the rogues did manage to kill Spottedstar? Is she okay? Most of all, what if I didn't bring enough cats to help? She shook out her pelt. There was nothing she could've done about the last thought. 

Cobrastrike caught up to her, wind streaming through his fur. "Don't worry, Mintpaw. Your Clanmates are warriors! They'll find a way to hold up."

Mintpaw nodded. "I hope so."

The patrol burst into camp, Sharpfur at the lead. The fighting never ceased as the FireClan backup jumped into the battle. Cobrastrike jumped onto the nearest cat that he could see, his claws digging into the rogue's pelt. Viperfang reared upwards, delivering a blow to another rogue's head.

Mintpaw weaved through the crowd. There was nothing more she could do. She could only hope that they would be able to fight off the rogues. Thankfully, though, she noticed that there seemed to be less rogues in the camp. Perhaps her Clanmates had managed to fight some off. 

She darted through the cats, trying her best to avoid claws and teeth. As she bounded through the fighting cats, trying to make her way to the medicine den, she caught sight of Snowfrost and Spottedstar. The two she-cats were reared up, back to back, fending off three rogues. They seemed to be losing. The golden she-cat looked weak, practically leaning against Snowfrost while trying to strike out some blows. Panic seized the tabby. Did Spottedstar lose a life?

The scene looked desperate. Spottedstar was slumped against the white she-cat, having no energy to prop herself up, and Snowfrost was struggling with keeping her leader on her paws while fighting off the rogues. And she looked tired as well after all that fighting. 

The scene looked so bad that it made Mintpaw's paws itch, wanting to step forward and help. Yet she probably would only make the situation worse. Suddenly, a streak of white-and-black shot through the cats. Adderclaw! Her brother zoomed towards them, leaping on a rogue who was swiping at Snowfrost's paws. His claws hooked into the rogue's pelt as he pulled her off, throwing her away before turning on the other attackers. 

"Mintpaw!" Echoleaf's voice ripped through the air, louder than the yowls. "Come here, hurry!"

The gray tabby spun towards her mentor's voice. A silver rogue was charging towards her, her blue eyes narrowed into splits. Mintpaw managed a dodge before bounding towards the medicine den as quickly as possible, the she-cat right on her tail. The tabby lunged into the narrow entrance as Windstrike delivered a fierce blow to the she-cat's nose, making her back off.

"Thank StarClan you're alright!" Echoleaf meowed.

Mintpaw sat on her hunches, panting. "Yeah. Sorry it took so long to fetch help."

Her mentor bowed her head. "It was alright. I imagine that Tigerstar was hard to persuade."

Before Mintpaw could respond, little voices came from the back of the den.