Chapter 16

It was a chilly night, very surprising for greenleaf. The silver moon was shining brightly against the dark blue sky, its light splashing down into the forest, lighting the cats' paths. A gentle breeze whistled through the trees, ruffling the cats' pelts and sending a small shiver down their spines. 

Mintpaw padded after her patrol, eager to go to the Gathering. Although she and Leafpaw had been meeting every morning, she hadn't seen Cloverpaw since the last half-moon meeting and Cobrapaw in a moon! As she bounded into the Gathering, her eyes glanced sideways, towards the FireClan patrol. She spotted Cobrapaw's pelt amongst his Clanmates, and beckoned cheerfully at him. As the AirClan patrol began spreading out, Cobrapaw was on his paws and weaving through the crowd towards her.

"Hi!" Mintpaw chirped as he neared.

"Hello," Cobrapaw purred in reply, swishing his tail. "Do you see Leafpaw or Cloverpaw?"

Mintpaw scanned the crowd. "Cloverpaw's right there." She nodded to where the medicine cats sat. "But I don't see Leafpaw." She saw Cobrapaw's eyes flash with an emotion before disappearing. The exchange had been too fast for her to fully catch sight of, but she thought she'd seen... relief? Maybe it was sadness, and he was sad that Leafpaw wasn't able to attend the Gathering. 

Cobrapaw ducked his head. "Should we head over to Cloverpaw, then?"

Mintpaw glanced over towards her friend. The brown-and-white she-cat seemed to be listening to Nightstrike and Rainpool's conversation, absorbed in the learning. Leafpaw's right; she is really focused on her studies. 

"She looks busy," Mintpaw mewed. "It would be best not to distract her. Let's just go find a spot and sit down."

Cobrapaw nodded. The two apprentices weaved through the crowd, talking and chattering as they went. The clearing was crowded. Apprentices were having competitions, such as who could jump the highest. Mintpaw spotted Amberpaw leaping into the air before twisting gracefully, landing on her paws, definitely securing the win. Leaders and deputies were talking at the roots of the tree, murmuring softly with one another to make sure their conversation wasn't being overheard. They didn't seem to be discussing Clan things - they all looked calm and happy, talking as though they were friends instead of leaders of opposing Clans. Elders were sprawled out towards the back, sharing tongues and telling stories. 

Mintpaw found a somewhat empty spot near the corner. She beckoned to Cobrapaw, leading him towards it. The two sat down just in time to hear Moonstar's yowl. "The Gathering is starting!" Instantly, a hush fell over the clearing.

The leaders climbed up the tree. Moonstar started first, announcing that all was well and that there was a new apprentice, Snowpaw. Spottedstar stepped up next, with no announcements other than that Grassfeather was carrying kits. Tigerstar reported that they had a new warrior, Pineclaw. Finally, it was Sunstar, WaterClan's leader, to give his report. The blazing orange tom stepped up to the branch.

"All is fine in WaterClan as well," he meowed. "Like the others, prey is running well. The lake and streams are full of fish. Lilyfur's given birth to three new kits: Dapplekit, Clearkit, and Snakekit. We also have a new apprentice, Rainpaw."

As Rainpaw's name rang into the clearing, Mintpaw raised her head hurriedly to cheer along, catching sight of the gray tom. He dipped his head, giving his chest fur a couple of embarrassed licks.

Once the cheering had died down, Sunstar's eyes flashed with hesitation before seemingly deciding his mind. "There have also been rogue scents near the borders."

Mintpaw and Cobrapaw exchanged a worried glance. There had been no challenges to the Clans' borders in moons!

Spottedstar's pelt bristled at his words. "Rogues?" It was clear that the AirClan leader was uneasy, too.