Chapter 37

The golden sun fell over the clearing, settling into darkness, casting shadows into AirClan's camp. A happy chatter bounced off the walls as the cats of AirClan settled in for the night. Most were sprawled out in the clearing, sharing tongues, telling stories, or gulping down prey. Some were already asleep. Snowfrost padded out from the nursery, her flanks beginning to swell from the kits, joining Leafstorm at a corner as the two began to share tongues drowsily. 

Mintpool crouched at the mouth of the medicine den, finishing her last bites of a mouse that lay at her paws. As she gazed around the camp, a feeling of pride filled her. AirClan's strong. There's nothing we won't be able to defeat. However, as her gaze wandered towards Adderclaw, she felt the pride melt away into worry. Hopefully he won't stay mad at me for long.

She laid her head onto her paws in a sigh. Guilt wormed her belly. After her and Adderclaw's conversation, she'd only made his thoughts of Leafstorm and Snowfrost worse, if anything.

She pawed gloomily at a red leaf, crunching it under her paws, her thoughts wandering off yet again. Leaf-bare is normally when times are tough. Hopefully AirClan will be okay through the season.

Suddenly, she heard paw steps crunch the fallen leaves. Her ears straightened into a perk, angling them, trying to find out more. The paw steps seemed to come from... outside the camp. Her pelt pricked. There's no more patrols out. What could it be?

One by one, her Clanmates seemed to notice it, too. Their happy chatter stopped just as four cats burst into the clearing.

Mintpool sprang to her paws, alarmed, as did the rest of her Clanmates. Spottedstar had leaped from the Clanledge instantly, her golden fur bristled. However, it smoothened as she recognized who it was, as did the rest of the AirClan cats. It was just a FireClan patrol!

A white tom stood in the lead. "Greetings," he meowed. 

"Froststrike." Spottedstar's voice was cautious as Thistlefur padded up next to her. "What can we do for you?"

"Tigerstar wants to call an emergency Gathering tomorrow," Froststrike replied. "He has asked for all the Clan leaders to come."

Spottedstar and Thistlefur exchanged a glance. "This is about the rogues?"

"Yes."

"We'll come," the AirClan leader meowed slowly, "if Moonstar agrees. We won't be attending if EarthClan isn't."

This sent a ripple of anger through the FireClan patrol. Mintpool twitched her tail-tip. She could see Spottedstar's reasoning. The rogues were obviously something that the Clans had to deal with together. There was no point without EarthClan.

Another thought formed in the gray tabby's mind. I wonder if it's the rogues who caused all those deaths in my dream... She shuddered, remembering the one of Cobrastrike killing Leafwhisker. Cobrastrike is part of the rogues now. She hated that thought, but it was the truth. It seemed as though her friend was gone.

The Cobrastrike situation was complicated for Mintpool. She missed her friend terribly, but she didn't think it was a good idea to visit him... not with the rogues attacking the Clans. She didn't think he himself would ever hurt her, but she certainly couldn't say the same thing about the rogues.

"Moonstar's agreed to attend," Froststrike mewed. "We visited EarthClan before coming here. I suppose we'll see you tomorrow with your deputy and medicine cats."

Mintpool's pelt bristled as she watched the FireClan patrol retreat. FireClan's so bossy! From one glance at her Clanmates, she could tell they all felt the same. However, now was not a time to pick at issues. They had to face the rogues as a strong front.