Chapter 36

The morning sun peeked over the trees as Mintpool trotted along with the patrol, yawning. Her tabby pelt was ruffled with sleep as she followed Adderclaw, Brightstorm, Whitewhisker, and Eagleflight, Echoleaf at her tail. Ever since the Gathering, Tigerstar had sent a patrol over to AirClan's territory, asking if they were willing to join him in ridding the rogues. Spottedstar had accepted, giving out orders to her Clan, making sure that they were training hard. She'd even put medicine cats to training!

Now, as Mintpool padded through the forest, following her Clanmates for a training session, led by Adderclaw, another yawn exited her. It was before dawn! 

"Why is the training session so early?" Mintpool muttered as she padded along, acting like a grouchy apprentice.

She'd meant for her words to go unheard by her Clanmates, but Whitewhisker angled his ears, catching them. "Spottedstar wants us to use every second of the day, I suppose." He ruffled his pelt. "Even the time before the sun rises."

Mintpool's pelt burned, for she hadn't meant for anyone to hear her. Echoleaf shot her an amused glance as the gray tabby nodded quickly.

"Besides," Brightstorm mewed, tagging on, "this might be good! The rogues won't be up by now. If any of them are watching our territory, they won't be watching this, and won't know what we are planning!"

"Brightstorm, you mouse-brain," Eagleflight teased affectionately. "If the rogues were spying on us, why would they let any second go by? There would always be a cat watching our territory! And, besides, the Training Hollow is at the center. All they would be able to see is towards the top edges."

Brightstorm ducked her head. "It was just a guess!"

Mintpool watched the two she-cats interact, missing her friendship with Leafwhisker even more.

Adderclaw glanced back at the talking cats, his normally alert gaze sleepy. "Come on. Let's hurry."

The patrol's paw steps quickened, showing their agreement, as they trotted through the forest. Mintpool felt as though her pelt was spiked with unease as she looked at Adderclaw. The two cats hadn't talked in ages. They've definitely lost their littermate bond. As badly as the gray tabby wanted to recreate it, she wouldn't even know what to say! And, with Snowfrost's request on top of that...

She shivered. She still hadn't gotten to what her mother had asked her to do. But I don't even know what to say, or what to begin with! Do I just go up to him and say, 'Hi, Adderclaw, you'd better like Leafstorm because whether or not you do Snowfrost does and she's moving on, get used to it.'?  

Before long, the Training Hollow was in sight. Mintpool felt her pelt twitch as she padded onto the sandy grounds. She felt out of place here, a place where warriors train. 

Adderclaw twitched his tail-tip, catching the patrol's attention. "We're going to do some training exercises," he meowed. "Brightstorm, Whitewhisker, you'll work together. Echoleaf and Eagleflight will be the other pair. Have one partner attack as the other dodges. I'll work with Mintpool."

Soft murmurs spread throughout the patrol as the cats moved to their partners. As her brother trotted towards her, despite her sleepiness, Mintpool felt a burst of excitement. She loved learning new things, and, although she wasn't the fondest of fighting, it was certainly something new to learn! Besides, she'd mastered the rear move, hadn't she? How hard could this be?

"Hi!" Adderclaw chirped as he approached. Thankfully, he didn't seem to have the same mindset as Mintpool, because his actions were at ease and cheerful, no awkwardness in them at all. It put the gray tabby right to ease. "We'll start with something simple. The duck and roll, okay?"