Chapter 25

The dark night splashed onto the forest as Echoleaf and Mintpaw slipped through the trees. The bright shine of stars and silver moon contrasted greatly against the black ink color as cloud floated through the sky. It looked to be just a normal half-moon meeting night. However, both medicine cats were more tense.

There was less chatter of excitement as the patrol made their way towards the Gathering clearing. Mintpaw's pelt was ruffled uneasily, casting nervous glances over her shoulder, wondering if she was going to catch sight of a flash of a rogue's pelt. She could tell her mentor was feeling the same way, for she seemed to be jumping, startled, at every crack of twig and leaf. And, especially, since they were both medicine cats, they were pretty much doomed if the rogues attacked them.

After the rogues' attack, there was much to do. There were cats to heal, dens to build, herbs to collect, and they still had to patrol the territory. Much of the herbs were trampled on, and it was hard to find any that were useable. Thankfully, the medicine den had been guarded, but there weren't enough herbs to heal every cat. Because most of the dens had collapsed, the elders, queen, and kits moved into the medicine den. The others set up nests outside in the clearing. Mintpaw and Echoleaf joined their Clanmates there. There wasn't much else of an option until the dens were rebuilt. 

On top of that, most of the prey had been scared away because of the yowling. Most cats went to sleep hungry, having had just enough prey to keep themselves going. Although the rogues didn't seem like much of a threat, they had greatly impacted AirClan.

As though things weren't bad enough, Echoleaf had pulled Mintpaw out of earshot from their Clanmates soon after the battle, informing her that Spottedstar had indeed lost a life. The gray tabby remembered how her pelt had rippled with shock and horror. Had the rogues truly been that powerful? What could they possibly have against the Clans? Why were they attacking them? All her questions had remained unanswered, and perhaps that was for the best. 

"Hopefully StarClan will be able to give us information on what to do next." Echoleaf's voice startled Mintpaw out of her thoughts. The gray she-cat was staring wistfully at the sky. The moon glowed down at them. "AirClan needs to heal, and fast."

The gray tabby nodded. "How many lives does Spottedstar have left?" That was what she was most worried about. The golden she-cat still seemed weak, even though it had been some time after the attack.

Echoleaf paused, her tail-tip twitching with unease. "Two," she mewed, and Mintpaw felt her fur bristle. She hadn't realized that the leader only had so little. 

The two continued their journey to the Moonpool in silence. Neither cat spoke, both seeming tense and deep in thought. Mintpaw exhaled. Hopefully StarClan will have some advice to offer.

The other medicine cats were already there by the time the two AirClan cats arrived. The news of the rogue attack hadn't yet been passed out, but the other Clans must've heard something. But, it seems that they didn't, for only Nightstrike offered a sympathetic blink. However, Mintpaw noticed a new ginger tom, younger than she and Cloverpaw, standing besides Ravenleaf. 

After the greetings were over, Ravenleaf stood up. "This is my new apprentice, Foxpaw," she announced, her fur fluffed with excitement. Mintpaw wondered if the ginger tom was her first ever apprentice. 

The black she-cat then stepped towards the Moonpool, reciting the sacred words that introduced the new medicine apprentices to StarClan, as Echoleaf had done for Mintpaw. When that ritual was over, the medicine cats leaned down, dipping their noses into the Moonpool. The gray tabby hurried to follow, hoping that she could exchange a few words with Foxpaw after.