Chapter 2

The next few moons had flown by in a blur. Mintkit did normal kit things. She would play with the moss ball with her friends, tease Adderkit, pretend to hunt, of which she completely failed at, and helped Echoleaf with the herb stocks. She formed a schedule, almost, for herself. She would wake up, eat with her friends, play quickly with them before Crowpaw had to leave for his apprentice duties, and would then retreat to the medicine den, where she would help Echoleaf with simple things like sorting herbs or laying leaves out in the sun for them to dry. Flowerkit had become an apprentice around four moons ago, assigned to Birdshine. Icepaw became an apprentice a moon after that, and his mentor was Petalshine. Now, it was Mintkit and Adderkit's apprentice ceremony. 

It was late in the morning, a little before sun-high. Snowfrost was lapping her tongue over Mintkit's ear, her blue eyes soft as she washed her two kits. Adderkit twisted his body, washing his back, his newly groomed pelt shining under the sunlight.

"Snowfrost, I'm almost an apprentice now!" Mintkit squeaked in protest, trying to bat her mother away. Cats were padding into the clearing, waiting for the ceremony to start, shooting amused glances at Snowfrost, who was still washing her kit as though she were a newborn. "I can do this myself!"

Her mother backed away, her blue eyes gleaming with pride. "I know." She sat back on her flanks, watching the two of them as they busied themselves, washing every bit of their pelts that they could reach, making it fluffy and soft. "I'm sure Talonfrost would have been very proud of you." Her voice was soft with grief when she spoke.

Mintkit blinked at the mention of her dead father. He died soon after she and Adderkit were born, killed by a fox. She hadn't known him that well, so his death hadn't impacted her too badly. She had Snowfrost and Adderkit, and that was all she needed. Her mother, on the other paw, deeply mourned her dead mate. She ducked her head in response.

"Let every cat old enough to catch their own prey gather by the Clanledge for a Clan meeting!" Spottedstar's voice travelled throughout the camp. The few cats that were still in their dens slipped out, making their way to the ledge. 

"Well, it's time for your ceremony." Snowfrost stood up, seemingly shaking off the grief. "I know you two will do great."

"Thanks," Adderkit chirped, Mintkit echoing him. After their mother gave them one last lick over their ears, she padded away, joining the rest of the Clan within the crowd.

"Come on!" Mintkit beckoned to her brother. "It's our apprentice ceremony!" The two kits rushed over to the Clanledge, where Spottedstar was blinking down at them.

Their leader was sitting at the top of the ledge, her spotted golden fur gleaming under the warm sunlight, making her look regal. Every once in a while, a breeze would flutter by, ruffling her fur. Her eyes were happy as she blinked down at the two kits that would soon become apprentices. She waved her tail, beckoning the two kits forward.

"Adderkit," Spottedstar meowed, "you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you become a warrior, you shall be known as Adderpaw. Your mentor will be Ivyfoot. I hope she passes all she knows on to you." 

Mintkit scanned the clearing, catching sight of Ivyfoot. The black she-cat looked very pleased, stepping up as Spottedstar called her.

"Ivyfoot, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Thistlefur, and you have proven yourself to be an excellent hunter and fighter. You will be the mentor of Adderpaw, and I hope you'll pass everything you know down to him."

"I will, Spottedstar," Ivyfoot promised, her eyes glimmering, as she stepped forward towards her new apprentice. Adderpaw leaned forward as well, tapping his nose against his mentor's, his eyes joyful.