No. 3 Chapter 7

Back, once again, relegated to waiting. The young engineer had changed scenery and had almost 24 hours of activity and now he was back where this journey had him most of the time. Waiting in his room for some outside influence to stir him to action. It was a thing he absolutely disliked. But he could once again not really do anything about it. The better part of the day was spent reading some of the books. He was supposed to be in his room but he had decided that he would rather wait in the community hall of the wing assigned to the Ironblood delegation. Sitting in one of the comfortable chairs, he spent the day reading there. He only got involved in activity again towards the evening when he made his way down to meet the others to attend dinner.

The mood at the dinner table was a different one compared to the day before. Next to the Iris and Vichya delegations staring daggers into each other it was the Northern Palairment and Eagle Union which seemed to have issues. Both sides could have killed each other with their stares as well. Only the Royal Navy and Ironblood seemed to not care for the foul mood. They conversed with their allies and former enemies without any hostility or greatly shown favoritism. What had changed was the way the Iris Libre delegation behaved towards the young engineer and Ironblood ships. Before they had only been glaring at them but now they interacted with each other. Or rather spoke with each other on a formal basis instead of glaring hate. "Your date with Richelieu seems to have done it's wonders." Came the teasing remark of Prinz Eugen which interrupted the young engineer's observations. He finished chewing the food he had in his mouth and answered her. "How did you know that I met her?" He asked. "Well, you smelled like a rose garden earlier this morning. And the only one that wears Rose Perfume is Richelieu. The other Iris ships smell all like old ladies with that CHANEL they are using." She added mockingly. "So you already disobeyed the orders of the two destroyers before they could even issue them and warn you from doing so." She teased him further. "I don't care for their diplomatic strategies either. But it is interesting to see that after meeting you they had a change of heart in their behavior towards us. Before they only would engage us in combat and otherwise ignore us and now they are interacting with us outside of trying to kill us." She explained. "It seems you are better suited for this job than our two little master administrators." She ended, slightly chuckling. The young engineer smiled slightly embarrassed as well. "I doubt that. I am not made for this kind of work. I tend to be too friendly and I am too honest to be a politician or diplomat." Prinz Eugen smiled at that self assessment of the young engineer. "Don't worry, I would not let you go anyways. No one would be able to keep my rigging in order as well as you do. It would be a shame to waste your talent of fixing it for better causes." She teased him. "At least someone values my skills." Chuckled the young engineer in return.

The rest of the dinner went as the one the day before. This time the delegates were invited to the community hall assigned to the Eagle Union delegation. The hall was laid out the same way as the ones of the other dormitory wings. The young engineer followed on the heel of the heavy cruiser while tagging along with the rest of the Ironblood ships. Thankfully this time there were neither curious Shipgirls around nor any Northern Plairment dreadnaughts spoiling for a verbal encounter. The young engineer therefore had a pleasant and quiet evening as a second shadow to the heavy cruiser.
"May I offer the next order of drinks?" Introduced Richelieu herself to the table at which Prinz Eugen and the young engineer sat. Prinz Eugen looked up from her almost empty glass of Whiskey. "Good evening, your eminence. It is a kind offer will I gladly take up." She answered to the battleship in the typical amused voice of hers which could be interpreted as either mocking or friendly and sincere. Richelieu apparently took it as the latter and sat down at the table with the cruiser and her sidekick. She then proceeded to gesture for one of the Royal Navy shipgirls dressed as a maid to come over. While waiting for said Shipgirl she asked the other two: "What would you like to have?" "I will have another glass of 1936 Glenfiddich." Answered the Prinz Eugen on the spot. The young engineer on the other hand declined the offer with a kind smile and slight head shake. "There is also the opportunity to have non alcoholic beverages or lighter ones if what your companion is drinking is not up to your taste." Offered Richelieu once more. "Leave him be. He is not much of a social drinker and he is especially prudent when it is a work related event he participates in." Interjected Prinz Eugen, explaining his situation. Richelieu looked at him with slight surprise, but before Prinz Eugen or Richelieu could say something the young engineer answered for himself. "It is somewhat right what Prinz Eugen said. And it is also fitting that I don't really like Whiskey. I prefer Cognac. Also I know that even though you are drinking human beverages, that they are mixed with the concentration of alcohol to have an effect on you, which means that that would most likely kill me. But if there is a good Cognac here that is not mixed with your extras I would be happy to enjoy a glass in good company." He explained his point in a tone of matter of fact. "I prefer my wine also without the addition of a stronger mixture. You will see that the maids here are more than able to fulfill almost every wish. They have my preferred wine so I am sure they will have a good Cognac for you." Added the battleship. "If that is the case I would like to enjoy a good glass of Cognac." Answered the young engineer with a smile. "Wonderful, which one would you prefer? Asbach Uralt maybe?" She asked. The young engineer had a slightly repulsive expression for a split second before smiling about the joke. "No thank you. I prefer Iris made Cognac. I am sure you know these even better than I do. Maybe you can order one I have not enjoyed yet." He offered and also challenged the Iris Libre flagship. "That sounds like a neat little game. I will be happy to oblige, if you in turn can find a good red wine for me instead." She accepted the challenge and the young engineer accepted as well with a firm nodd.