Chapter 19

He followed her through the dormitory and out to a seperate entrance to the canteen. This side was a bit smaller and looked more like a proper dining room than the large canteen in which he and the other humans ate.

The room was elegantly furnished. Along the window side were multiple U formed benches, which were polstered and had a small table around which they were fitted. Between these Us there were small shelves with books, music and other things to spend time and have entertainment. The middle of the room was taken up by a great table around which different seats were arranged. The other long side of the room was taken up by a bar counter and huge shelves of all sorts of beverages.

Prinz Eugen walked down to the middle of the table and sat down. The young engineer stood behind her as it was not common for aids to sit at the same table as their assigned officers. After Prinz looked over her shoulder she realized what had happened and addressed the young engineer. " You can sit down. There is no one here to reprimand you and no one you have to hold up etiquette to." Her tone resembled her amusement of the situation. The young engineer took the opportunity and sat down to the right of the cruiser. Shortly after a Bullin arrived from the counter and asked what the shipgirl would like to have. Not understanding the language the young engineer translated the question to Prinz Eugen and the answer to the Bullin. She ordered casserole and Oxy-cola. The Bullin nodded after the young engineer translated her order and vanished into the kitchen behind the bar. The two sat there for some minutes in absolute silence until the cruiser broke this silence by addressing the young engineer: "Is that your first time in the canteen for us ships? You seemed rather surprised when we entered the room." He nodded answering her: " It is surprising to see how much comfort you are given. This looks more like a mix of restaurant and upper class saloon." She gave him her teasing smile: " Well, no matter the navy, they all want to keep their shipgirls happy and satisfied. Probably because since we are sentient we can decide for ourselves if we want to fight or not. And next to another shipgirl there is little that can oppose us. So we get pampered and every wish fulfilled." "It sure seems like it. You get everything you desire. It seems a bit unfair though." He replied to her explanation. Looking at the young engineer, the cruiser gets an even wider smile on her lips and speaks in a sugary sweet tone: " Ohh, is there someone jealous? Wasn't it your choice to be in the ranks? You probably could have become a staff officer and enjoy all the advantages of having a high rank." Her irony was more than obvious. Knowing that giving her an answer to that would only satisfy her made him change the topic. Therefore he changed the topic: " Who knows. Maybe I could have been your commander. But I know what we are going to do after you are done eating. I am sure you will love it." That picked the cruiser's interest. " You planned something already? You are one intriguing individual. What have you planned?" She asked him. Shrugging his shoulders, it was his time to tease the cruiser: " Well, you will have to wait and see. If you have enough stamina to wait for it, that is." Seeing her eyes narrow for a second, the young engineer thought he had pushed his luck too far. But her eyes widened and her face lit up into a genuine smile and a chuckle. "Ohh, you are learning. Giving me a taste of my own medicine. Interesting, I hope you can hold up your promise then."

Before they could continue their conversation the Bullin appeared again, bringing Prinz Eugen her Food. While she was eating the young engineer stood up and looked at the books on the shelves. While perusing Northern parliament classical philosophy they were interrupted by some new gustes entering the saloon. The Battleships Gangut and Sovetskaya Rossiya entered the room. Both sitting down on the opposite site of Prinz Eugen at the large table. The three of them looked at each other. The look Gangut had was that of a confident fighter, judging her opponent. She conveyed security and an open aura of willingness to fight. Sovetskaya Rossiya was more reserved. She looked at the ironblood cruiser with an untelling gase. Carefully analysing the individual in front of her. Prinz Eugen smiled in her typical manner and was completely relaxed. Clearly not being affected by the somewhat hostile aura towards her. The young engineer walked with quick steps over to the cruiser and took up his spot. Opening the conversation towards the two women in their language. " Good morning comrades. If there is any need I will be the translator for the liaison of the Ironblood navy. Please feel free to make ample use of my services." He hated protocol, especially when it made him a tool to others or made him look like someone's puppy. Both gave him a short glance before focusing on the cruiser again. Gangut opened up the conversation. " So, you are her aid and not just an equipment mechanic. Sending a liaison that does not speak the local language is somewhat inopportune. It may just have been better if they send you and not her." Surprised by her addressing him and not Prinz Eugen it took the young engineer a second to start translating her words into ironblood. Prinz Eugen did not move nor did her expression of slight amusement change. After he finished she looked Gangut in the eyes and spoke in a soft but self assured tone: " Now my dear comrade, I may not speak your language, but I am way more of an asset as a mechanic. I also have no need of my rigging to keep up with you. He may be my little helpful addition, but be assured I can handle myself and the obligations I am responsible for. Also, what kind of tone is that in which we converse? We are under friends after all.  Aren't we?" After finishing the translation the young engineer was able to not just see the fighting lust of Gangut in her eyes but also in what almost felt like an aura around her. Instead of her it was Sovetskaya Rossiya that spoke next. Her words deliberate and her tone friendly and welcoming. " Naturally we all are friends here. There is no need for any of us to have animosities. Past events are behind us aren't they? How about we share a meal together and enjoy this new friendship you have spoken of. That would surely be more productive than to scratch at old wounds. Would you not agree, comrade form the Ironblood?" Finishing the translation, the young engineer did not need to translate the smile and nodding that Prinz Eugen gave Sovetskaya Rossiya.

They all sat together and ate their meal, except for the young engineer, since he could not consume their food. Even though they agreed on letting the past go, the young engineer could clearly see that there was something significant between Gangut and Prinz Eugen. He did not know what but it certainly had an effect on the old Battleship. While they ate he was dismissed by Prinz Eugen with a wave of her hand. With that he went back to the bookshelves and continued to search for good reading material while the shipgirls enjoyed their meals.