Chapter 20

He was interrupted in his search by the sound of a chair moving and the clicking of heeled shoes coming towards his direction. Turning around he saw Sovetskaya Rossiya had stood up after finishing her meal and coming towards him. She must have been even taller than Gangut, but was built slimmer than the old battleship. When there was about a meter left between them the battleship addressed him: " You seem to enjoy our library comrade. It is good to see that a foreigner has interest in our Nations literature. I wanted to apologize for comrade Ganguts behavior. She is more impulsive than the rest of us."

The young engineer lightened up since the conversation the battleship seemed to look for was one of a casual manner instead of anything serious. " She seemed alright when I met her earlier, she helped me out to find the room of Prinz Eugen. But I guess there must be bad blood between them or something like that. No matter what it is, I do not think it is a reason why anyone should apologize. Also, your intervention proved more than capable of keeping the two away from each other's throats. " He answered her and changed the conversation to the first topic Sovetskaya Rossiya mentioned. " I do like Northern Parliament literature. I was able to read "War and Peace" and some others. But certainly the works on philosophy and the historical works on the great wars are highly interesting." Sovetskaya Rossiya nodded to his remark and spoke with her cold, yet welcoming voice: " It truly is. Our literature is a fine piece of our culture. But that is the thing that makes me wonder. The cruiser Prinz Eugen and you are not the material to be sent out to be a liaison. She is strong and confident to be sure, but not the ideal picture to represent a nation or navy. She is too relaxed and informal for such work. Which brings me also to you. You are an engineer that became nothing more than a mechanic to support and maintain a Shipgirl. That does not make any sense. There is no more need for regular human maintenance and work since there are the Bullins since we came into existence. Also any higher officer would become part of the naval staff and would not work as a lower enlisted rank. And then there is the behavior between the two of you. You have a lot of freedom for being an assistant. Instead of having to stay at your place to be ready for eventual needs, you are allowed to do whatever until you are needed. The two of you seem to have a closer relationship than there is to be let on." She stated. Her tone did not change but what she said made the young engineer uncomfortable. He decided to speak truthfully so as to not let anything slip or which was vital and to keep the appearance of a relaxed conversation up. " Yes, I have no real idea why we were sent. Some of our more exemplary Shipgirls would have been more suited. Someone like Z-2 or Z-23 would be more suited. But I guess it would not have been a good sign to send a destroyer as liaison. As to me and the cruiser Prinz Eugen, it is due to her laxness towards protocol and strictness. Since she is not that interested in it this leads to me having more freedoms than I should have. " Seemingly satisfied with that answer, Sovetskaya Rossiya did not continue the conversation but gave the young engineer a sign to follow her back to the table.

'' Thank you for a meal enjoyed in company. I will be leaving and attending to my duties." She said to the Northern Parliament battleship and the Ironblood cruiser. The young engineer translated for Prinz Eugen and wished her a good day in the name of the two of them. Shortly after Gangut left as well and Prinz Eugen had finished her food alone with the young engineer. While she finished her drink the young engineer got his coat from the coat hanger and retrieved the coat of Prinz Eugen as well. Putting his coat on while walking back to her, he got all things sorted. Closing the buttons of his coat up except for the last two. He tied his scarf around his neck and tugged it into his coat. Arriving at the seat of Prinz Eugen, he handed her her coat. She stood up and walked towards the door while putting her coat on. Leaving the Shipgirls saloon she broke the silence: " So, what did you plan to do? You said you had something planned." Nodding in acknowledgement of her question he answered her: "There are actually multiple things planned for today. The next thing for you would be to wait until this evening. You have been invited to spend time with the ships of the Northern Parliament. I will have to leave and run some errands. Depending on how quick I will be, my planned activity for today will either happen before or after that meeting you have been invited to." "So you're telling me you are busy during my freetime? Who gave you orders to do things? As far as I know I am the only one who can order you around in these parts." She said in a faked tone of surprise. " And who invited me to join the others?" She continued in a more serious way. " You have been invited by Gangut. I met her earlier when I was on the way to your room and she asked me to transmit her invitation. As for the errants, they are my personal ones. I will have to get some things from the city." He explained. She looked at him with a slight hint of surprise. " She invited me? How interesting. Anyways, I will accompany you on your errant then. It would be a shame if you would get lost in a foreign city. So I will come with you and make sure you won't get in trouble." Knowing that he could not defy her he did not say anything to oppose her decision. He only shrugged with his shoulders and with a slight smile he led the way towards the entry gate of the base.