Chapter 16

The next morning was starting to feel like the old routine the young engineer had back at his homebase. Waking up, washing and getting breakfast was about as uneventful as it was in Ironblood. Spending the early morning hours until his new colleagues came also turned out to be the same as well. Him enjoying the relative silence of the docks, reading or listening to music. If it wasn't so cold he almost would not have known the difference between Ironblood and the Northern Parliament. Although that had more to do with his environment, job and people around him than the country itself. Mechanics are mechanics no matter what language they speak. They all are interested in keeping their machines running and everything in order. Something they all appreciated no matter what the language or culture was.

He spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon sitting together with the other dockspace leaders. Since the Bulins did most of the work and they only had to check up on their results they spent most of the day sitting together around an old working table drinking Tea, Coffee and either talking or playing cards. They got to talk about their families, work and how things were going in the city. They often ask the young engineer how it was at his home and how different his home and work in Ironblood was compared to how things were here. So they exchanged how things were handled differently at one place or the other and both sides agreed that the staff officers were a bunch of apes for not knowing the difference of one side of a ship to the other. In many cases the navies were not that different. They held up the same values, had their traditions and the same old rivalries between different groups.

While chatting about their families, the young engineer remembered the old lady in the store he was in days before, asking Pjotr Kosolow: "Hey Pjotr. I was in a little store two days ago that was run by this very kind older woman. She sold me the canvas and sheets for my accommodations. She also asked me to greet her grandson who was working in this base. She said his name was Pjotr. So, is that your grandmother and am I then supposed to deliver her kind words to you?" Pjotr looked at him and had a big smile on his face: " That sure sounds like my babushka. She is a very kind soul. Thank you for delivering her greetings to me." Continuing the conversation the young engineer asked the group if they would know a place where he could get a lamp since his place was rather dark in the morning and during the night. " You can go back to the store and ask my grandmother. They have all sorts of supplies for fishing boats. Certainly they will also have a lantern for candles for you." The young engineer thanked him for his advice.

After finishing their conversations and towards the end of the day they all went to the canteen and ate their dinner. The young engineer and Andrey left the base in search of the little store the young engineer had visited to see if he could get a lamp there to have another lightsource in the little house he had built himself. After about an hour of walking through the snowy and almost empty streets of the city they found the little store and entered it. "Good evening" The two men said when the old lady came out of the back room to welcome them. " Good evening you two. What can I do for you?" She greeted them. The young engineer walked over to her while Andrey looked at the wares. " I am in need of a lantern or lamp. Would you have one I could buy?" He asked her. She nodded in reply and vanished back into the room behind the counter. Coming back a minute later she had a petrol lantern and a electrical lamp with her. " Which one would you like, young man?" She asked. The young engineer looked at both and decided to take the lantern since he could use it outside as well. " I would like to have the lantern please. How much do you want to have for it?" He answered her. "120 Ruble please." She answered. While he gave her the money and she counted it he continued the conversation. " I have met your grandson Pjotr. We both are working in the docks. He is a fine man and I am supposed to bring his greetings to you back as well." The old woman left the money on the counter and looked up to the young engineer. " Have you met my Pjotr? How wonderful. It is good to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for delivering his message. '' After storing the lantern on his belt the young engineer and Andrey said their goodbyes to the old lady. When they turned to leave the young engineer saw a wide range of ice skates. Thinking of a good opportunity he chatted to the old woman about them and then left the store. On their way back to the base Andrey also said his goodbye and made his way to his home.