No. 3 Chapter 4

After dinner the evening activities were hosted in the community room of the Vichya Dominion delegation. The young engineer was informed that each evening one delegation would offer to host the others for the evening. Today the Vichya Dominion had it's turn. Their community room was designed and equipped the same way as the room of the Irnoblood delegation. The only thing different to it was that it's layout was mirrored in comparison to that of the Ironblood room and that it had a different collection of literature.

Sitting in one of the launch chairs and drinking from his glass of beer, the young engineer once more observed the situation. The Shipgirls tended to stick to their groups but there were interactions between the Shipgirls of each faction. Except for the former Iris Orthodoxy ships. They still avoided each other. "I heard from Z-23 that you are a good chess player earlier. Would you be inclined to indulge my curiosity about your skill with a match?" The question ripped the young engineer out of his thoughts. Next to him stood the tall blond woman of the royal navy in her mixture of naval jacket and dress with the Union Jack draped over her shoulders. Instandly remembering his manners the young engineer stood up and greeted her properly. With a slight bow of his head he introduced himself and answered her question. "Good evening. Of course I would be happy to indulge your curiosity." He answered while stretching out his right hand to shake hands. Instead of shaking his hand the Woman placed her flat hand, palm down, into his hand. The young engineer remembered what his Godfather had told him about protocol in royal circles and that it was commonplace to address higher ranked individuals with a kiss on the hands. That symbolism was one of deep respect, love or in this case submission. The young engineer disliked all three of these notions towards an individual he did not know. He therefore decided against it and instead enclosed the woman's hand with his thumb and shook her hand slightly to conclude the greeting. " Please take a seat, I will go and get a game set." He continued after this rather awkward moment. "No need." Stopped the woman him. "I will have one of the maids bring one." She explained while waving one of the Shipgirls, dressed as maid, over. "Belfast, would you be so kind to bring us a chess game over?" She ordered the tall silver haired woman. The latter nodded and performed a slight bow before walking off. "So, now that that is out of the way, I think it is in order that we introduce ourselves properly. I know who you are, but I guess you don't know who I am." Explained the woman. "I am the Admiral-Class Battlecruiser HMS Hood. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She introduced herself. The young engineer choked a bit on that information. Opposite to him sat the Flagship of the Royal Navy. Taking a moment to get over that fact he answered. "It is a pleasure to meet you as well and to be able to have a game of chess with you." Before they could continue their smalltalk the light cruiser Belfast reappeared with a game of chess in her hand. Placing one of the smaller launch tables in between them, the cruiser placed the chess game on top of it and started to set it up. The young engineer, wanting to help and speed the process along, grabbed a couple of figures and started to place them on the board as well. That action earned him a questioning look from both Shipgirls.

"To a good game." He said when both sides were ready to play. Belfast had taken up position to the right of the chair in which the battlecruiser had sat down. Guessing that the Flagship of the Royal Navy was a proficient and well experienced player, the young engineer decided to play his game with a very aggressive strategy. Opening up quickly and securing the center of the board with two pawns and both of his knights and bishops while freeing his queen to allow her to come to action quickly. While Hood took out most of his pawns, he managed to trap one of her back line figures after another while only losing a bishop and rook himself. He seemed to have overwhelmed her approach with his strategy of holding the center and therefore being able to strike at almost every direction of the board and enabling him to cover most of his importand figures at the same time. Next to Belfast more Shipgirls had gathered to watch the game between Hood and the young engineer. The latter had emptied his beer glass and had proceeded to drink from the bottle instead forgetting that he had a glass. "Check." The young engineer said while cornering Hood's white king in the corner of H1 with his Knight at F1, Bishop at F3 and Queen at H4. The battlecruiser let her King fall with the delicate touch of her gloved right index finger. "Well played." She said while reaching her hand, with its back up, out to end the game. The young engineer decided again against following their protocol and shook her hand the same way as he had half an hour earlier during their introduction.