Chapter 23

After a couple of hours ice skating the two sat down on the bench where they left their things. Watching the other people on the ice during the sunset, the young engineer caught his breath. Looking at Prinz Eugen to his side he realized that she had not even a slightly increased breath. Picking up his pocket watch he realized that they spend the better part of the day ice skating. After catching his breath he spoke to the cruiser. " It is already getting late. We should get going otherwise we will be late to your invitation to spend time with the other ships." She looked at him and nodded smiling. "Always on time,never forgetting obligations and always reliable. You never forget anything do you?" She laughed slightly and continued. "Well, I guess we should get going then. Would you help me with my ice skates?" Fulfilling her request the young engineer took off his ice skates, put on his boots and then tied the ice skates of Prinz Eugen open. Taking them off he tied the laces of both together and shouldered them over his shoulder next to his own. He closed his coat buttons while he waited and watched Prinz putting on her shoes. When she was done she stood up and the two started to walk back to the base.

"Thank you for a great day so far. I never really had the chance to experience a normal day. But I guess this was also a special day in that case as well. I would be more than happy to have more days like this one." She muttered, not addressing the young engineer directly. He answered her nonetheless: "Nothing holds you back from spending your free time as you please. You can do whatever you want. Go out and meet or make friends." Her answer was only a sigh to his encouraging words. "But hey, I am sure this evening will be fun as well. The other shipgirls will certainly know how to have a good time." He continued. "Yes, Probably. It will be hard though since I can't speak to them." She answered. "Minsk speaks Ironblood as far as I know." He explained. " So I will have to rely on someone I don't know. Wonderfull." She sighed. "I think you will be joining me that evening as my translator." Letting his shoulders sink, the young engineer nodded in affirmation. He knew that this evening would have the makings of a declaration of war if the animosity between Prinz and Gangut was anything to go by. "So, I guess I will have to change into the dark blue again won't I?" He asked her. Not waiting for an answer, he continued: "So, where am I supposed to meet you? At the place where you ate earlier or at your dorm?" "We can meet up at the mess hall at 19:00." She stated. "I guess it could be fun, at least there will most likely be a lot to drink there. So that is something to go for." She said more to herself than to the young engineer.

They continued their way back to the base in silence, splitting up after entering the base. The young engineer went to his dock and got his uniform to wear later. Cleaning up and dressing himself he realised that he had actually cut his head open when he fell on the ice. Nothing to be worried about but it would become bruised for the next couple of days to be sure. After cleaning up and dressing properly he again got his coat and walked out of the docks to meet up with the cruiser.