Chapter 78

Emily POV

"Emily!"

"Huh?"

"Finally. I've been trying to get your attention for the last five minutes"

"Oh well sorry," I ran a hand through my hair.

"Are you okay?"

"No!" I accidentally snapped.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she sat next to me on our hotel bed and grabbed onto my hand.

"Everything," I whispered as tears threatened to fall from my eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said as she let go of my hand and looked down at her lap.

"None of this is your fault, okay? Do you hear me Alison? I do not want you blaming yourself for this," I told her as I held onto her and drew circles on her back.

"Okay, thank you Em...so much. I really do love you," she claimed as I wiped her tears away.

"Yea you better," I joked as I poked her side, "Haha I'm kidding babe...I love you too," I told her as I kissed her cheek.

"Okay...I think we've done enough crying and being sad. We're in sunny California and should be enjoying ourselves," she said as she stood up and looked out the window of our hotel room which had an ocean view.

I for one don't wanna act as if she is dying. All that "let's enjoy ourselves" crap scares the hell outta me. But I'll do whatever she wants if it will make her happy.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked as I sat back on the bed.

"Everything"

"Haha what is everything Ali?"

"I don't know babe. Didn't you go to school out here?" She turned around to look at me. I'm glad her tears are gone and she seems to be in a better mood.

"That was only for a year and I didn't get to do much because of swimming"

"Oh...well then let's just walk and see what's around us"

"You mean...like tourists?"

"Exactly!" She clapped her hands excitedly and came back to sit in my lap.

"Okay but just to be clear I am not wearing sun visor, Hawaiian shirt or fanby pack," I said sarcastically.

"Aww damn because I so wanted to see you in that," she laughed.

"When do you wanna leave?"

"Now"

"Now?!"

"Y-Yea...is that alright with you?" Her facial expression saddened.

"What-...oh yea, sure! I just-...I"

"You what Em?"

Damn it. Alison's attitude is really scaring me for sure now. How could she possibly be okay with this? She has fucking cancer! Why isn't she crying and being upset about all of this? Like...it's really pissing me off! Does she not cherish her life? Does she not care about who she could possibly leave behind if she were to...die? Does she not care about the twins? Oh ny gosh...does she not care about...me?! No Emily, Alison loves you. She even said it a few minutes ago. I really need to stay out of my own mind. If this doesn't bother Alison, then it shouldn't bother me. Right? I mean I'm not the one with cancer so I should be fine. Right?

"I...I just think we should put on some sunscreen before we go out. You know? Since it's really sunny outside," I decided to just withold my actual feelings, for her sake and peace of mind.

"Oh yea! You're so smart babe," she pecked my lips and got outta my lap to find the sunscreen.
___________________________

"Em over here babe!" Alison waved for me to come and see some stupid clown fish. We're at the fucking Aquarium of the Pacific. There really isn't anything special about it! Ali is just acting like a damn child right now. Like this is some place I'd bring Ethan and Ashley to...not a grown ass 27 year old.

"Oh wow Ali, they're sooo cute," I fake being excited with a hint of sarcasm. I don't mean to be rude but of all places to go...why here?

"You hate it don't you?" She asked.

"What the fish? No it-"

"I mean this...being here"

"What? Pft no!"

"Emmm..."

"Okay fine. Yes, I hate it here. Alison, we are in fucking California! Not just that...we are at a fucking aquarium in California! Of all the beautiful tourist attractions, why the hell did you pick this childish ass place?!" I hadn't even realized how rude that came out until I notice her eyes getting watery and she looked upset. Damn it I screwed up for sure!

"M-My grandmother promised t-to take me here b-before she died of c-cancer," she said softly as tears stained her blouse.

"Ali I am so s-"

"How about I just walk around on my own for a bit?" She asked still upset.

"Ali pl-"

"Can I?"

"But what happened to the 'no space' thing babe? We're supposed to-"

"Look Em, I just really wanna see the dolphins okay?" She pleaded.

"Uhh okay. C-Can I come with you?" I carefully asked her.

"...How about you call and check on the twins? Then, when you're done you can come and get me so that we can leave"

"Y-Yea sure...I guess if that's what you want..." I went on as I rubbed the back of my neck. I feel like total shit right now. Why am I such an ass?

"Great, see you soon," and with that she took off to go see the dolphins.

I'm not gonna call the twins. I'll just follow her and stay close behind. I don't want anything to happen to her or for her to do something she may regret because of me.

Alison POV

I can't believe Emily. She's normally a lot nicer and more caring of my feelings. It's like ever since I told her about the cancer, she wants nothing to do with me or something. I hate feeling this way. Does she not realize that this is all completely out of my control? Does she think I asked for cancer?!

I'm not gonna go see the dolphins. Her outburst kinda made me sad and killed my mood. I think I'm just gonna walk around the city hoping to clear my head a little. Emily can do whatever the hell she wants.

*30 minutes later*

I've been walking for a good half hour now and have yet to hear from my wife.

I've gotten so wrapped up in my thoughts that I've kinda drowned out all sounds and things around me. That's not necessarily a good thing because I guess I wasn't really paying attention to the cars either.

"Watch out for that car!"

*CRASH*