FORTY ONE

Eleanor sat in the passenger side of Letty's car as they drove down the streets

Eleanor sat in the passenger side of Letty's car as they drove down the streets. "I don't know why we gotta keep driving around like this." Roman spoke over their radio. "Why can't we just pull over somewhere, park, gather our thoughts in, like, a bunker somewhere?"

"Because it does not work like that." Tej replied. "We gotta stick close enough to the bad guys in order to get in range for Ramsey to hack 'em, but we gotta be mobile enough not to get shot like fish in a barrel. So do me a favour, focus on the mission, keep us from getting killed." It was silent for a few moments before he spoke again. "Guys, they're here."

Letty and Eleanor shared a look, the former speaking. "How many cars?"

"Uh, none and that's kind of the problem." Tej replied.

Eleanor looked over her shoulder out the back windshield to see a helicopter following them and she groaned. "You've got to be shitting me."

"Okay, let's give them the tour." Brian spoke. "Break on my mark. Three, two, one. Go!" They all split, going off in different directions.

"They're in range." Tej informed. "Ramsey, start the hack."

Brian's panicked voice soon emitted from their radios. "Football's hot! I need to lateral! Rome, where are you?"

"Running back, charging in!" Roman told him.

"Meet me on third and spring." Brian said.

"You got it!"

As Roman approached the lights up ahead, Brian headed his way. He rolled down the window of the passenger side as he and Brian drove towards each other. In complete synchronisation, they each pulled their handbrakes, and turned opposite ways, creating smoke from their tires. In this time, Ramsey grabbed her stuff and got out the window of Brian's car, Tej pulling her into the window of their car, just as Roman and Brian finished the turn, heading in opposite ways.

Brian jumped out from his car seconds before it was hit by the drone, the car exploding. "He made it!" Tej exclaimed with a smile. "I can't believe we pulled that off."

"Wait." Ramsey gained their attention. "What happened? We were almost there. They've cut the signal! I can't finish the hack!"

Roman glanced over at her. "What do you mean?"

"Brian, they took out the tower." Tej told him.

Ramsey groaned in frustration. "There has to be another way."

"Wait, I'm seeing half a dozen cell towers between sixth and state." Tej informed Brian. "Brian, if you can get to the top of any one of those buildings around there, we can reroute the signal manually and finish the job."

"I'm on it."

Police cars approached them and Roman drifted around the corner. "Them boys is on us!" Roman exclaimed.