|| chapter 23 ||

You stood by the window, your half lidded eyes cast down as you recalled the recent scene.

Subconsciously clenching your fist, you close your eyes and walk away.

Harvey, who was hiding at the end of the hallway, as well as some of the other servants.

Noticing your change of behaviour, they knew something must've happened for you to act so down and angered.

It started when you arrived at the manor with the faint traces of dried tear stains on your face. Coming back from Royal castle, where you had been.

What happened?

~~

"Nozel-sama, the other day—" noting that you have not any recalling for what happened the other night and vaguely remembering that you were in high fever.

"You're finally back. Don't push yourself next time." He stated at his seat, his hand on the paperworks and  pen. He merely stares at your figure and continued working.

"yes... I apologize for the unnecessary and extraneous incident." You bowed at him, still pondering and perplexed by his dismissing and dry words.

Usually, he'd go on and on lecturing you after things like this. You brushed it off, it weren't like it was from before, you both are grown up now.

You bowed once more and left his office.

"Nozel-sama, I came back from a mission, do you need any help?"

"Do you think I needed it? you're dismissed." His eyes still not moving away from his work.

"..." you stared at his busy figure with lowered eyelashes, lightly bowed and left. Sparring no questions for his indifferent answer in your mind.

"Nozel-sama, have you eaten your—" you asked him, as he walks down the halls, where you and Nebra had been recently talking.

"I'll be on a mission later, you are not needed later, either." He stated as he walks pass you, the usual flat tone he uses throughout these days.

"..." You turned your body, staring at his figure. You turned back at the lady you've been talking to and bowed lightly. Excusing yourself to leave, walking away to the opposite direction he had gone.

The purple eyed silvernette knew something was wrong. And she felt uneasy for it. The mist magic user scurried off to find her younger brother.

"..."

"You can leave. You are no longer needed." He had told you for the third time at the silence that had both of you in.

Helping him with the paperworks here at the office were something normal and not out of the ordinary.

And yet, he made you leave. That wasn't the case, he'd never really force you to it either.

You had nothing to do but follow his orders as your captain.

Distant. He made a distance between the two of you. As if drawing a line already, you see each other less, interact less and talk to less. His eyes were uninterested and forcely bored whenever he stared, indifferent and strangely distant.

cold. The tone he used, his actions, his stares. why? He was different... oddly different all of the sudden. Ever since that day, that night. He was cold and distant.

Cold, was he always like this to everybody? But he had never been like this to you. Why now? why of all the sudden?

cold, how ironic, because that night it was warm.