Epilogue: Narcissa

I think that when Narcissa lied to Voldemort, was the greatest moment for this character's development.

2nd May, 1998

Draco. Draco. Draco. That was all that Narcissa had in mind. All that Narcissa wanted was her son to be okay. She didn't even have a wand. She wasn't trying to attack anyone. She just wanted to survive. Narcissa had one goal in mind: that her family could get out of there alive.

Narcissa realized that The Dark Lord had never been a saint of her devotion. That man, whether he was powerful, immortal or whatever; he had made her life and her family's life miserable. The Malfoys had gone through hell thanks to that wizard. Lucius had always had to do horrible things in his honor. Lucius had to give up being himself. That sweet, romantic boy that Narcissa met all those years ago was gone. And the girl that Narcissa was, the girl who believed in fairytales and happy endings, was long gone as well. All they had left was their family. Each other. So that was what Narcissa cared about.

After The Dark Lord spoke to everyone at The Castle, after he demanded for Potter to meet him in The Forbidden Forest; Narcissa was so tired. She was exhausted for worrying too much. And she hadn't seen Draco yet.

Lucius was holding her hand tightly. He had been protecting her the whole time. Narcissa was grateful, she couldn't let go off his hand. Lucius was the only thing keeping her on her feet, the only thing that was keeping her stable.

As they were heading to The Forest, like every Death Eater should, Narcissa couldn't take it anymore. She stopped walking. She was breathing hard. Cissy bent down, touching her knees. Lucius was forced to stop as well.

"Cissy..." he whispered. He sounded so tired as well.

"Lucius..." Narcissa sighed, trying to swallow her tears "Where is Draco?"

Lucius looked around. He was nervous that some death eater would appear soon. Bellatrix, The Dark Lord himself.

"I don't know Cissy..." he tried to sound comforting "I am pretty sure he is okay"

Narcissa didn't answer. She wasn't sure. None of them were sure. Narcissa never in a million years would imagine that she would be in that situation. Her heart was not in peace. Narcissa was hurting. The pain was unbearable. Just because she didn't know if her son was okay.

Draco was not a perfect kid. Lucius and Narcissa had spoiled him too much. He was whimsical and immature. But Narcissa loved him more than anyone. He was just a boy. Last year, Draco went through horrible things. With his father in Azkaban and him being a death eater himself. The mission that The Dark Lord had given him, was too much for a 17-year-old. And Narcissa hated him for that. She just wanted this to be over.

"Common, Cissy" Lucius said nervously "We have to be there"

Narcissa simply nodded, swallowing her tears. She took her husband's hand and they both carried on.

**********************************************************

"Harry Potter... The Boy Who Lived... Come to die" The Dark Lord announced amused.

Narcissa was in the back. Next to Lucius. But she could see perfectly what was going on. Bellatrix and the rest of the Death Eaters seemed excited. This meant that it would finally be over. If Potter died, they would win. The Dark Lord would rule the Wizarding World. Many members had been waiting this moment for so long. Including Lucius. There was no turning back. The Ministry, everyone knew The Malfoys' loyalty by now. If their Master got defeated, they would surely go to Azkaban.