Chapter Fifty Three

Amara's POV

All three men came rushing towards us, guns raised to shoot at everyone but me.

Gun shots fired through the air, knowing that they were coming from the people on my side.

I quickly rushed towards one of the guards, tackling him to the ground and punching him in the face, sending him back to the ground with blood pooling from his nose.

The doors from the other side of the room swung open, revealing more of the mafia swarming in.

"Run!" Jack said, "we got it from here."

I opened my mouth and closed it, contemplating on leaving or not.

"But-"

"Just go!"

Luca quickly grabbed me, pulling me through the other side of the door.

"They'll be okay," he told me, rushing down the hallway.

I nodded, trying to wipe the fear of leaving them alone.

"Where would he be?" Luca asked, stopping when I halted in the hallway.

"He would be in his bedroom," I said to him, leading us toward the door that was Mason's room.

I took a deep breath, held the gun tightly in my hand and opened the door.

It was dark, and I could barely make out the empty bed that was in front of me.

"He's not here," I said quietly, shutting the door behind me as I checked the rest of the room.

"Where else would he be?" Luca asked me.

I looked at the floor and then back to him, thinking hard at where he would be at.

I squinted my eyes, turning back toward the long hallway.

"He might be this way," I said to him, quickly walking toward my room that was just down the way.

I opened the door, and a lamp was switched on at my bed side table, the covers ruffled up.

I walked in further, my gun in the air and pointed towards the other parts of my room.

"He's not here either," I took a deep breath in anger.

"Fuck!" I turned back toward Luca, my eyes fuming with fury.

"He's not here, but it looks like he's been sleeping here," he came up behind me, his arm lightly brushing up against mine.

"What a fucking creep," he whispered.

"I don't know where he would be," I said, turning toward him beside me.

I thought for a moment, thinking about where mason would be located in the house.

Then an idea formed in my mind.

His favourite place

"I know where he's at," I said frantically, grabbing Luca by the hand and pulling him out of the room.

I ran through the house, reaching the back door and slowing my steps.

The fairy lights lit up the back of the house, revealing a tall tree house that stood on the farthest tree.

"We used to go here as kids," I whispered, walking toward the ladder that was underneath.

I lightly smiled as we got closer, but a click of the gun made it drop.

When I looked beside me, Luca was on his knees, a gun to his head.

"You're a very smart girl Amara, I'll give you that."

Mason

"Let him go," I gritted out, pointing my gun toward him.

"Ah, I don't think so. Put the gun down or I'll shoot him."

I looked over to Luca, and he slightly nodded, indicating to put the weapon down.

I put the gun down on the grass, but I let out a gasp when Mason pulled the trigger.

Instead of the head, he was shot in the abdomen. And he fell to the ground, blood spilling to the grass and staining it red.

The gun was now pointed at me, Mason's tired eyes on mine.

"I loved you, you know," he muttered, his blood shot eyes going to Luca then me.

"You took my mafia away from me," I spat out, my eyes darting to the gun.

"We could of ruled it together, we could of been happy."

"Happy? I never loved you!" I shouted, " you took away everything from me!"

"For you!" He shouted back.

I scoffed, my eyes starting to fill up with tears, "what happened to you?" I whispered.

He didn't answer, watching as a tear fell from my cheek.

"You happened."

It was silent, and I saw Masons hand shake as his fingers etched toward the trigger.

"You left me for the Italians, you don't love me," I gritted out.

"I saved you, it was a plan," he spat back.

"For over a month? You left me with the enemy!" I yelled, "I could of died!"

"It was a risk I had to take, it was the only way to have both,"

The tears were steaming down my face, fuck this hurt.

"I.don't.love.you," I stuttered out, his eyes also filling with tears.

"I know," he whispered.

His fingers reached the trigger, and I saw his chest rise and fall quickly.

"Please," I choked out, glancing at Luca's limp body.

"I love you," he whispered again, pulling the trigger and firing the bullet.