Chapter 2 - Sonic's Never Been in Love [Sonic POV]

[SONIC]

"Hey Tails pass the chilli!" I called to my fury fox buddy.

"But Sonic, we've already put chilli in the mix! You know I can't handle as much heat as you! Tails whined back.

"Ahh come on man, just a little more?" I teasingly cooed back to him.

Tails gave me a frown, which broke in to a smile as he grabbed the chilli flakes and threw them at me. I caught them with ease, opened the lid and poured a heap more into the chilli dog mixture that was cooking in a large pan on the flame of a gas stove.

"Sooonic!" Tails cried as he watched a huge amount of flakes dissolve into the red-brown paste.

I ran over to him and got him in a loose headlock, affectionately rubbing my fist against his head.

"C'mon buddy I know you like it just as much as me!"

Tails started laughing and tried to wriggle out of my grip.

"Hahaha! Sonic, quit it!!"

I let him go and we both collapsed on the floor giggling uncontrollably. When we had calmed down I stretched my legs out, leant back on my arms and let out a happy sigh. I was grateful to be alive. These days the smallest things like being able to visit friends and cook together are a gift that I will never take for granted again.

Tails and I both live in Emerald Coast, our houses just a short walk apart, separated by a sandy pathway surrounded by beautiful palm trees.

I looked at the soft yellow walls and felt a swell of happiness in my chest. Tail's kitchen was warm and smelt delicious. We were, after all, cooking my favourite food of all time, chilli dogs. He must be sick of eating them but he never complains. 

Tails is my best friend in the whole wide world. He saved my life. Six months ago in our last battle with Eggman I was struck by a laser beam from his most devastating invention yet, a rebuild of the Death Egg, but with tracking devices and guns that shoot beams of light harnessed from the sun's energy – and equally as powerful.

The beam (we found out after Tails, Cream and Blaze had analysed the equipment in Tails' workshop) had been specifically manipulated to pierce my skull in between my eyes, with the intention of killing me instantly. Luckily I was slightly too quick for it and managed to turn my head to the side so it skimmed across the top of my head, however the blow was still hard enough to knock me unconscious for a week.

Tails thought quickly on his feet and pulled me to safety, flying me all the way to his house where he nursed me back to health.

I have only heard from the others what happened at the end of that battle. Apparently Shadow was the one who delivered the final almighty blow to Eggman.

After I was knocked out something strange happened to Shadow. He appeared to be charged with a surge of demonic anger, his eyes blazing redder than they ever have before and his fur glowing blacker than the night without the moon. He spun around and with every ounce of power he could summon, kicked Eggman in the back of his neck, rendering him temporarily paralysed.

Rouge, Amy and Knuckles then tied him up and Shadow transported him via chaos control to the broken piece of Angel Island. Without Eggman in control of his robots they could all be destroyed for good. I always thought I'd be the one to defeat Eggman...

"Hey Sonic, can I ask you a question?"

I was snapped out of my daydream by Tails looking up at me nervously and blushing slightly. Tails has been getting shy around me a lot lately so I smiled at him sympathetically and wondered what was coming.

"Sure buddy, what is it?"

Tails stared at his feet for a few moments as if trying to think of a way to word what he was about to say.

"Sonic, what do you know about love?"

Practically choking on my own saliva I let an exasperated laugh escape my lips.

"Pffffttt what??! You're asking me, of all people, about love?" I continued to laugh to myself. It wasn't actually that funny, but I was caught off guard and laughter was my secret defence mechanism.

Tail's face was a bright crimson all over now and he looked deeply regretful for asking that question. I immediately felt bad and tried to act seriously.

"Hey sorry buddy. Hmm well let's see," I said folding my arms and scratching my head.

"Well love is.... Love is...."

"Like you and Amy?" Tails suggested. I wasn't sure but I could swear there was a glimmer of sadness in his eyes.

"Hell no!!" I started choking again, cringing at the idea of anyone thinking I was in love with Amy. 

"Look, Amy's great and all, but I don't have feelings for her."

Tails' face lit up with a hopeful expression. 

Poor Tails, he's growing up so fast. I remember what it's like to be a young adult. Emotions are strong and out of control. He didn't seem to be satisfied with my answers so far so I suggested we sit down to eat.

As we tucked into the delicious chilli dogs, I felt the energy in the room had calmed down a bit, so I decided to see if I could get any information out of Tails and his intentions behind his question.

"So Tails, is there anyone you have your eye on at the moment?" I blurted out. Discreet is not my middle name.

Tails' eyes shot down to his half eaten plate of food and the colour returned to his cheeks. I immediately knew that was a yes but I sat and waited patiently for his answer.

"Erm... Kinda," his innocent, sky-blue eyes looked up and met my gaze. I realised I'd never seen him look so vulnerable before. I couldn't help but smile at my little pal, all grown up.

"So who's the lucky one?" I chuckled softly, trying to coax an answer from him.

"I.... I can't say." 

I placed my hand on the top of his head and ruffled his orange fur softly. "Well whoever it is I'm sure you'll make them very happy." I didn't want him to feel pressured into talking about things he wasn't comfortable with. His facial features relaxed slightly and a small smile appeared on the left side of his mouth.

The truth was I knew absolutely nothing about love. Sure I've hooked up with a few people, no feelings involved though. I hold a lot of close friendships, but love? Love between one person and another, I had absolutely no idea about. For the first time ever I had been confronted with something I wasn't able to talk about.

"Maybe you should try telling them?" I suggested, and with a wink I added, "They might feel the same way about you!" I figured that was the best advice I could offer with my limited experience.

Tails nodded shyly and looked deep in thought as he cleared the empty plates from the table. We washed the dishes together in silence.

When everything was clean and stacked to dry I stretched my arms above my head yawning and looked sleepily out the window. The sun was setting and casting a beautiful golden glow across the tops of the trees and the birds could be heard singing their evening lullaby. I decided I was keen to lay down in bed. I still had post traumatic stress symptoms from the battle and one of them was insane fatigue that sometimes hit me out of nowhere.

"Well I'm going to head off home now buddy, thanks for an awesome night!" I gave Tails a huge hug. He held me just as tightly as we said our goodbyes.

"See you soon Sonic!" 

Tails seemed back to his perky self by the time I left. Geez I wonder who he has a crush on.

"I hope to god it's not Amy," I said aloud as I strolled along, basking in the little warmth the winter's sun gave off. That would be a whole world of drama I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.