Chapter 1: The New Student

Bae Ro Na is one annoying person to begin with. Ever since Min Seol A died, as first in the waiting list, she now has a slot at Cheong Ah's classical singing department and her presence has racked up quite a lot of drama. For starters, during the orientation, she was blocked by Yoo Jenny and Lee Min Hyuk on her way to her seat, which is styled to resemble the orchestra. It was typical bullying as usual but it all came down to Eun Byul when she heard Seok Hoon say in Mandarin, "She is pretty."

Yoo Jenny, Lee Min Hyuk and Ha Eun Byul all turned Seok Hoon, eyes wide in disbelief, especially Eun Byul. Joo Seok Kyung was merely nonchalant. "What did you just say?" Yoo Jenny asked, just to make sure she heard it right.

"You called her 'pretty'," Min Hyuk added. Eun Byul was staring at Ro Na and caught her staring at Seok Hoon. Whether it was from her own experience having a crush or Ro Na was too obvious, she can tell the latter had a crush on him. From that moment on, Ro Na was officially her target. 

"Now that you're done bragging you're only achievement which is to understand Mandarin, you might as well get out of my way," Ro Na said, pushing the unknowing Yoo Jenny and she fell to the floor with a loud thud, that it earned the collective gasps of her classmates, Eun Byul included. That shameless brat

Not much followed and Eun Byul went on to practicing math problems as usual until Yoo Jenny suddenly announced that Ro Na's mother, Oh Yoon Hee was accused of killing Min Seol A. That was when the kicking began. Ro Na did not so much as put up a fight as Eun Byul had at least expected but then she realized, she wasn't punching back because she could get in trouble. Her mother would see that as a good reason to expel her. On top of that, Eun Byul is aware that Yoo Jenny's mother, Kang Ma Ri will do almost anything for her precious princess so it made sense that Ro Na does nothing. At least, for now.

The week after that (Yoon Hee is proven innocent), Ro Na arrived late and struggled to get a seat because everyone is putting their bags on empty chairs. Eun Byul was having fun with it until Seok Hoon asked her specifically to sit beside him. What about me? Why don't you ask me, Seok Hoon?

...

The black Mercedes whisked Ha Eun Byul to the penthouse, with its majestic sight looming the grand spectacle of wealth and pride at having been part of it. However, Eun Byul's mood was sour since Seok Hoon asked Ro Na, the daughter of her mother's nemesis to sit beside him. Eun Byul was only partially able to grasp the whole lesson.

Joo Seok Kyung is barely even helpful. "Ro Na, let's study together at my place, alright."

When Eun Byul arrived at the apartment, Cheon Seo Jin is already there dressed in an elegant navy blue dress and her usual signature curls. Ever since Oh Yoon Hee barged into the office, Eun Byul couldn't shake the curiosity of why her mother just hates her. She tried asking her before but her mother is always busy or some event will pervade before she could even get the chance. 

"Why do you hate Oh Yoon Hee?" she asked while her mother typed something on the Samsung Galaxy Ipad.

"Why are you asking me that now?" Seo Jin said dismissively.

Eun Byul sighed as she dropped her bag in the sofa. "I would gladly defend you from anyone, Mom. But I can't just pick on Ro Na."

"But you already did," Seo Jin deadpanned and this manner of ignorance is already irking her. Her mother always does that. As if Eun Byul was a disease she could barely think of.

"I only did it because my friends were doing it. If I don't, I'll be kicked out of the group," Eun Byul reasoned, although that was partially the truth. Seo Jin set down on her Ipad and stared at her daughter with a satanic, which is sending chills down the latter's spine.

"No, you did it because I hate her. That's all it was," Seo Jin snapped.

Eun Byul finally had enough. "You're right. I hate her because I care for you but if you're not going tell me why I should hate her, then I'm better off leaving her alone."

Eun Byul stomped her heels on the floor as she pranced towards the room. "Oh Yoon Hee!" Seo Jin said fiercely, making her daughter stall her tracks. "_tried to take the trophy from me." 

"What?"

"I won the trophy at Cheong Ah Arts Festival. The competition was intense and competitive. We were all pressured. Yoon Hee dragged me into the dressing room and demanded I give her the trophy. You see, she gave a beautiful performance so she thought she's more entitled to win. It got bad enough that we both started attacking each other." Eun Byul gasped and covered her mouth as Seo Jin kept going. "Yeah, we end up fighting and wounding ourselves. I don't know how it happened but somehow, I accidentally pointed the tip of the wing to her neck and she said I intended it, which is not true. Yoon Hee was gone but no one believed me."

"Oma!" Eun Byul said as she hugged her mother. She didn't expect the wound to having resulted from a past trauma. Small wonder her mother never forgave Yoon Hee, but Ro Na isn't like that, right?

Seo Jin gently rubbed her black hair. "I want you to give me the best and only the best. Study hard. Rest little and perform well."