Chapter 33

Getting inside the new base was much harder than I expected. Sure, the previous time I came here I entered through the front door, but that was with the Hive. But this time, I was just an outsider, someone who wasn't allowed into the building. Stupid me. Should've gotten a fake ID from Ryu.

But it was too late now. So, I strolled right up to the guards at the doors. I avoided eye contact with them and tried strolling right in. But of course, they didn't let me in... man, I was hoping for some dense security. I backed up as they crossed their large guns over the doors, not letting me through. "Hey. You aren't allowed in here," said one of them, her straight long brown-blonde hair in a high ponytail.

I cleared my throat. "I'm one of the Hive members. I'm a bit late, sorry."

The other security guard, who was skinnier and had her wavy brown hair in a half-up, half-down style, scrunched her nose. "All members live in this building. No one is let outside unless supervised. And we would have been notified."

I cursed with silence. Now how was I supposed to get inside? It all happened so fast. I grabbed both of the women's wrists and flipped them onto their backs. I grabbed the girl with straight hair's identity document, and I ran into the headquarters and took the elevator to the cafeteria. I knew there were security cameras inside, but I had a device that scrambled them. Hey, I wasn't a complete disaster.

The metal box dinged, letting me know I was on the correct floor. The doors slid open with a hiss, revealing the room. It was empty, except for the chefs behind the kitchen door. I shuffled towards the kitchen, hoping no one came into the dining area. And just as I thought that I heard a grunting noise. I whipped around, trying to find where that sound came from. Oh, thank goodness, my mind breathed. It's just that idiot.

It was that same guy from the gym, the large guy with bushy eyebrows. I turned back around as he was reaching for a plate of french fries. I bolted into the safety of the kitchen, taking a deep breath. If that were someone else...

But it wasn't. I surged through the many rows of kitchen supplies and devices, trying to find the food that was being served today for lunch. That wasn't until another five hours or so; I had plenty of time. I turned a corner and bumped into a lady with wavy brown hair, medium in length. She had sad blue eyes, and she was carrying a bunch of herbs I didn't recognize. "Oh!" she yelped, startled.

I took a few steps back, hanging my head low so she didn't recognize me. "Sorry," I muttered.

I tried to walk past her but she said, "Wait. What are you doing in here?"
I turned around with sluggishness, not meeting her eyes. "Uh, I'm a new... cook?"

"Oh. I wasn't told. Welcome, I guess."

I nodded. She started to jog back to wherever she was going but I decided I needed some guidance. "Hey, do you know where the food for lunch today is?"

She glanced back and pointed to a table to the left. "Over there. We're not done preparing it. But some of the food's there already."

"Uh, and what are the dishes?"

She frowned and said, "Orange juice and water for the drinks. Burritos for the main course. Seasoned tofu for vegans and vegetarians. That's all."

I nodded and smiled, hoping I didn't look like someone who was going to be responsible for all the deaths of the people in this base. "Um, do all the chefs eat too? Like, at the same time as the others?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "You ask an awful lot of questions."

I blinked at her once. "Just tell me."