Chapter 16

I jumped over the table and tackled Julian to the floor as a projectile flew straight at the spot where he was just sitting. The missile exploded in contact with the floor and a loud noise erupted.

I lay on top of the dark-haired man, my eyes closed shut and my arms wrapped around his body. My face was nestled right around his neck and his arms rested on my back. I slowly opened my eyes. The smell of smoke filled my nose and my view was hazy from it. Everything had an orange tint to it. Fire. The stalls! And the food! my brain worried.

I got off of the ex-crewmate and shook him. He groaned. "Why'd you topple me?"

I tugged at his arm and pointed to the scene. "We gotta go! They found us!"

Julian rubbed his eyes and started coughing. I nodded at his shirt. "Cover your nose and mouth with that so you don't inhale the smoke," I suggested.

He nodded and did as I said. I covered my nose and mouth with my arm and ran in the opposite direction of where the projectile came from. Julian followed me and stopped me by holding my wrist firmly. I turned back to him. "What?" I spat.

He motioned around towards our table, which was now burning in flames. "The money!"

I shook my head. "Gone! The missile destroyed it."

The green-eyed boy groaned and we started jogging away again. We were almost at the far end of the supermarket when suddenly three men wearing black clothing appeared in front of us. I skidded to a stop and Julian ran right into me. I shot him a glare and he squinted at me, annoyed. The three men were quite large, all holding assault rifles. I pulled out my two pistols from under the folds of my now tattered dress and pointed it at them. Julian pulled out his ax and spun it in his hand, getting in front of the man to the very left.

The guy in the middle laughed. "Nowhere to run, little humans. You're cornered."

I turned around and to my dismay, there were two other men behind us. I pointed one of my pistols at one of the guys behind me and the guy in the middle standing in front of me and the ex-Hive member. Julian backed up to me, our backs touching. He leaned back and said, "What do we do? We're outnumbered."

I smirked, even though the dark-haired man couldn't see it. "Don't worry. I can handle them."

He squeaked. "What about me?"

I shrugged. "Use your ax."

And then the fun began. I shot my guns, the bullets shattering both of the men's skulls. Before the others could react, I fired my gun into the remaining guy's heart and he fell to the ground. Meanwhile, Julian had chopped off one of the men's heads, which now rolled to a stop at my foot. I kicked it right into the stomach of the last guy and he grunted as he fell over. The green-eyed man walked over and before the last guy could get up, Julian brought his blade onto his neck.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust as the blood splattered onto my legs and dress. The ex-murder crewmember nodded his head at the far side of the market. "Let's go before more members of the Hive show up," he said.

I nodded and we ran to the other side. We continued sprinting down the street until we got behind a small shop. I grabbed Julian's wrist and I motioned at the smoke rising into the air. "We've been found," I hissed.

He ran his hands through his silky hair. "I know. They knew we were coming to this city."

I wrung my hands together. "Of course they knew! They probably realized that the drop from the bridge into the river wasn't that far! And we were already halfway across the bridge to Kalopsia, so they figured out that we swam to the coast!"