2016 - 2017

2016

As 2016 ushers in, the popularity of BTOB and Red Velvet rose steadily.  Both groups released two extended play albums and has participated in various magazine shoots.  Sungjae was also in talks to be one of the main cast of a TV drama alongside Gong Yoo, Lee Dong Wook, Kim Go Eun and Yoo In Na.  But what really excited the fans was the news that Sungjae and Joy would be recording a song as part of the *United K-Pop album.  It was a joint project of the various music agencies where artists of an agency will record a song with the artists from another.  And because of the monumental request of the fans for another collaboration for BBYU, both SME and CUBE has decided to pair the two to perform a duet entitled Young Love, composed by Hyunsik.  It quickly made the Top 10 of all Korean music charts upon its digital release.  It also became one of the most streamed songs and the album became one of the top sellers for the first half of 2016, prompting CUBE and SME to produce a music video for the song.  Although Joy and Sungjae never got to perform it live, the MV they made was enough to appease the fans for the time being.  As interest on BBYU increased, fans began to keep a close eye on any interaction between the two.  Rumors of Sungjae and Joy secretly dating also started to buzz among the fans and netizens as numerous fan cam video clips showing the two idols that seems to be secretly glancing at each other during award ceremonies circulated in the internet.  Curiously, there were hardly any negative reaction on the news, unlike with the dating rumors of other idols.  This became an inside joke between BTOB and Red Velvet as they started calling each other, in-laws.

"Oh, my God. If only they knew," Wendy said, chuckling.  She, along with Irene and Seulgi were chatting with Eunkwang, Minhyuk, Hyunsik and Changsub at the waiting area of the studio where the show they'll be appearing on for a comeback is being shot.  Peniel, Ilhoon, Sungjae, Joy and Yeri are all still inside their respective dressing rooms having their hair and make-up done.

"So, did SME ask Joy about the rumors?" Eunkwang asked with concern.

"Not SME. But our manager unnie asked her if she wants to issue a statement about it. Joy declined," Seulgi replied.

"She did? Why?" Changsub asked.

"Joy said it's pointless since there's nothing to deny or confirm anyway," Wendy supplied.

"Sungjae basically said the same thing when manager hyung asked him," Minhyuk disclosed.

"But it's surprising that SME hasn't called her out on it," Hyunsik commented.

"Yeah! We're actually surprised about it, too," Irene said.  "Maybe it's because they haven't seen any concrete proof so they're not that concerned," she added.

"Or it could be because there's so much positive feedback from the fans," Changsub suggested, making them exchange looks with one another, considering that possibility.

Just then, the three remaining members of BTOB came out of their dressing room, followed by Yeri who came out of theirs.  Joy, on the other hand, decided to stay inside when he heard Sungjae's voice outside.

By December, Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (Goblin), which featured Sungjae as Yoo Duk Hwa, started airing.

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

2017 (First Half)

Sungjae's drama ended to positive reviews in January of the following year.  Two months later, Joy's first drama, The Liar and His Lover, began airing.  While Sungjae received nothing but praise in his portrayal of Duk Hwa, it was different for Joy.  Although viewers loved Joy in her role as Yoon So Rim, there were also those who criticized her acting.  Even after a month since the drama has ended, Joy could still see comments telling her to quit acting because she doesn't have the talent for it and just concentrate on being an idol.  These negative comments really affected Joy but she hides it from her members.  Yeri, with whom she shares a room, could hear her cry quietly at night and wishes she could do something about it.