Chapter 15

The shadows in Delia's room twisted into the shapes of her tormentors. Trembling she turned on her bedside lamp. Her mom, Destin and her father's shadows were shredded by the light, staying within the light she crept towards the light to the bedroom on the right side of the door. Her thin figure sighed in relief, but immediately after it tightened again. She couldn't see out of her window the light blocking sight of outside. Her parents could be outside watching her plotting how to get her back and torture her for snitching on them. They weren't outside they are in jail waiting for the trial and jail time, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't make herself believe that it was true, that they wouldn't pop up and drag her back to the hell she had been in. She didn't trust her brothers completely but none of them had hurt her and that was more than she could say for her parents she didn't want to leave not now maybe never.

Overwhelmed Delia scooted to a corner out of view from the window a constant stream of tears and snot flowed as she silently cried. Delia is strong mentally and emotionally, but everyone has a limit and that nightmare was it. Exhausted as she was with the constant change, of the dependence of her little brothers, of the constant doubt and questioning of her older brothers, of the sleep deprivation, of the worry that she was making the wrong decisions, or the constant high alert she had to be on these things had not broken her resolve. But the remembrance of the past of her helplessness of her pain that she couldn't and would never share was to much. For the first time in five years Delia cried out in utter grief.

Delia wiped her tears washed her face and tied her up in her usual ponytail. By the time the twins burst into her room their was no trace of her breakdown. Evidently the twins had already hunted down the early riser in the family, Gracen, and he had told them about going shopping. The twins had been shopping before, but it was just for groceries, Gracen had told the twins about the mall they were headed to, to shop for new clothes. When Delia asked them if they new why, the twins just shrugged. Perplexed Delia tried to use her logic, but it didn't work out, the twins had at least three full outfits and she had two. They didn't need more. From what she had seen her brothers were pretty much the same sweatshirts and T-shirts, so it wasn't the quality of the clothes. And they had been eating plenty taking showers and the chores they had been assigned taking out the trash, washing and folding clothes and dusting split between the three of them hadn't negated that cost. So it wasn't like they earned it.

One of the few things she agreed with that her parents had said was that, their is no such thing as a free lunch in the world something was always wanted in return. So what would be the cost of this shopping trip?

When they headed to the dining room for breakfast they noticed something different. Daniel had a suit on and a briefcase in hand and was headed toward the front door. Drew looked on his head tilted slightly to the side in confusion.
"He's going to work at the office, their are some things he needs to take care of in person, but they didn't need my expertise so I'll stay home with you three since Hunter is also headed to school. And I need to get you guys some new clothes, like we told the social worker we would do. I would have taken you guys yesterday but everything has been so busy I didn't get a chance until today." Gracen explained as he walked them to the dining room he gestured for the to sit down. All of their older brothers had already eaten and Hunter and Daniel had already left for their respective destinations. 

After a quick lunch of cold cereal they hopped in a black mini van and headed towards the Apple mall which was only fifteen minutes away. Pulling into the parking lot Delia, Artie and Drew's jaws dropped: the place was massive and the elegant modern style with numerous floors shocked them. Gracen chuckled quietly when he had parked and seen their still surprised expressions. When the shock somewhat faded Delia and the boys realized something they had completely forgotten would happen in a public space— their were a ton of people, running around like ants on an anthill. Possible ways this could go wrong seemed to pop up in their minds constantly. The twins weren't as much of a target for their parents, but they had been exposed to the craftiness and cruelty of humanity. The different possibilities for humankind's inventions and creativity may be endless, but so was the different ways to hurt others. Gracen carefully watched their expressions, Hunter wasn't present to observe them so Gracen had to pay attention. Noticing their dulling eyes he panicked.
"Arthur what is the matter are you ok?" Gracen frantically asked.
"You realize that we see everyone as a possible threat and you thought it was a great idea to bring us here?" There was sarcasm in Artie's wooden voice. Delia lightly tapped him on the shoulder shaking her head in disapproval. Artie snorted but didn't say anything else. Gracen froze once he realized, the urge to spin around and slam himself into their car and then give his cheeky little brother a noogie was strong. But physical touch was still very much taboo and getting a concussion would cause him to get a lecture from Daniel. Gracen loved Daniel but that guy could ramble for hours and make the most exciting event sound like he was reading a dictionary.

Taking a deep breath Gracen smiled as if he was completely in control, "It will be fine and I will be with you the whole time."
"That's why we are worried." A soft mutter came from behind Delia where Drew stood. Deciding to ignore the sting of pain, Gracen strode towards the entrance to the mall.