Chapter 17

The rest of the week passed peacefully in the Knill house. Gradually the twins and Delia were getting used to their new life and the expectations of their brothers. As the week continued each of them learned a little more about each other. However Daniel still tried to avoid them as much as he could and running a company gave him the perfect excuse to do so. Yesterday, Saturday, the police called and said they would send Officer Kim to ask more questions and discover more evidence and that the kids needed to be examined by a doctor and child psychiatrist. Officer Kim was scheduled to arrive on Monday which meant the kids appointments were today. Gracen and Daniel both decided that it would be best not inform them and to have a home visit from both the psychiatrist and the doctor. Finding someone who did house visits was hard since the kids were considered healthy and could make the journey to the doctor's office. It took some searching and extra money, but they finally found a reliable doctor and psychiatrist willing to make a house visit. 

Daniel stood in the archway at the entrance to the living room. They rest of his siblings sat around the living room and chatted. Chatting was a little easier because Gracen and Hunter had learned a few signs, but they still relied heavily on the twins for translation or her dry erase board. Soon a call rang from Daniel's suit pants pocket. Walking out of the living room towards the house's entrance he answered the phone. It was a guard informing him of the arrival of the doctor. The psychiatrist appointment was scheduled for slightly later in the day. Daniel texted Gracen and waited near the door. Anxiety rolled of him in waves, he knew from the twins reaction last time this topic was brought up that this was not going to go over well. In walked the doctor he seemed relatively young in his 30's. His skin was a deep brown and his hair curly and black. 

Daniel lead the doctor towards the living room. In an effort for this to go as smoothly as possible the kids were not going to meet him as a doctor, but rather a friend.
"Guys I want you to meet my friend Andrew." Daniel introduced.
All heads immediately snapped towards the guest. Delia stared at him intently before standing up and slowly walking towards him. She stopped about four feet away from in shock. Then with tears trailing down her face her hands began to move rapidly through signs. Andrew's face showed amazement.
"I'm so sorry—." Before he could finish Delia had closed the gap and kicked his shin as hard as she could and after he crouched in pain she launched herself into his arms as she continued to silently sob.
"I'm so sorry Lia. You have to know we didn't want to leave you guys, but we had too. I know it was wrong but saying goodbye to you was too painful for us so we decided not to." The words whispered but still clear.

A few minutes passed before Delia and Andrew were partially separated and everyone seated so the situation could be explained.
"How do know each other?" Gracen was the first to break the silence.
"Well me and my twin brother, Andre, were her neighbors. We meet her when mom sent us over with welcome muffins." Andrew said an easy smile on his face, "Although we were 17 and she was eight we immediately clicked—."
"Wait, your a doctor? How old are you?"  Hunter asked confused.
"23 in October. Don't worry all my credentials are legitimate I just find school easier than most kids." Daniel said calmly.
The twins froze at the word "doctor". But Delia ignored it and opted to roll her eyes at Andrew instead 'he's a genius and so is Andre.' Artie translated for his older brothers.
'I told you to stop saying that Andre already has a big enough head as it is.' Andrew signed to Delia. Delia burst into silent giggles. Her older brothers looked enviously at Andrew that got smiles and an occasional snort, but not laughing, not to mention she hugged him with no hesitation.
"The twins have gotten so big I remember them when they were five. You have grown so much too Lia." Andrew mentioned gazing adoringly at all three of them. The boys were to young to remember him very much, but still gazed at him with curiosity.
"This has been a lovely chat, but they still need their checkups." Daniel interrupted.
Delia turned towards the twins, "He is a good guy we can trust him and if you can't trust my judgement."
To the surprise of Gracen, Hunter, and Daniel the twins nodded almost immediately and looked towards Andrew for instructions.
"Right, I think you brother's have a room all set up for me and if it makes you feel safer you can have your siblings in the room with you." Andrew said his excited tone turning into a professional one at the end.

Delia decided to go first and requested that only the twins come in with her. Andrew asked her to put on the paper gown and take off her clothes leaving her bra, underwear and leggings on. Delia did so after everyone had turned around. Turning around the first thing Andrew notice was the guarded look on Delia's face after that he say the plethora of scars across her arms and legs as well as some around her neck. Some of the scars where short  and thin some were long and thin and some could be quickly identified as burn marks.
"Lia—" Andrew's voice chocked at the end unable to finish his sentence, but after a second he was able to go into doctor mode and examined her lungs, blood pressure, and spine growth as well as her weight and height. However his frail mask of professionalism cracked when he lifted her gown to get a pulse near her pelvis. On her stomach clear as day was the branded word "worthless". Andrew managed to finish her exam although his breathing seemed erratic and shallow. He knew that look on her face she needed support and acceptance right now not panic and questions. So he was silent as he finished and got ready to do the twins after Delia changed. The twins didn't seem surprised when they saw the scars for them it was normal and a part of who Delia was. Now that the twins knew they were next they were nervous. They requested that Gracen enter the room as well. Delia nodded her approval and went to the door to call him in. Once the twins were changed into their gowns the exam continued. Andrew was very careful to explain what he was doing and why as he did it. The twins were skittish but relatively calm and the exam went smoothly. Afterwards the four youngest were sent to the kitchen for snacks and Andrew called Daniel and Gracen into the makeshift exam room.
"We need to talk about Delia and the boys right now." Andrew stated his voice not hiding his anxiousness at the situation. Leaning forward Gracen waited for the diagnosis.