Chapter 4: Will

A/N:

This is chapter 4. I updated with chapter 3 earlier. Five days, huh? Lovely. (Note the sarcasm.)

Chapter 4

Will

Nick is talking to his twin brother, Eddie, on the phone across from me in the cafeteria. I keep eating my breakfast while he talks. Suddenly, his eyes widen. He looks really surprised.

"You met someone?", Nick asks. "Who?".

It looks like his brother is asking for romantic advice. I smile. I don't have a brother, so I don't really know how this works. I do have a younger sister, Jane, but according to me and my dad, she's too young to date. She's fourteen years old.

"Giving me her name doesn't help, bro.", Nick says, annoyed. "I don't know her.". He pauses, listening to what Eddie is saying. "Well, it sounds like you really like her. Does she like you, too?". He pauses again. "You don't know. Okay. If I were you, I would try to find out if she likes you back.". Pause. "You're seriously asking me how?". Pause. "You should take her out on a date. Maybe even tell her how you feel. See what she says.". Pause. "Rejection is a part of life, Eddie. If she doesn't like you back, then that's that. You can't change it. On the other hand, if she likes you back...".

That was a nice little speech Nick gave his brother there. It's completely true. Rejection is a part of life. You just have to take the risk. It's not always -- okay, it's never -- easy, but you have to.

Nick and Eddie talk for a few more minutes and then Nick hangs up. Then, he pockets his phone and begins eating his breakfast. It's about eight o'clock right now and my first class is at nine, so I have time. I'm pretty sure Nick's first class is also at nine, since we're on the hockey team, so we have to have similar class schedules.

"Your brother is having girl problems?", I ask.

"Yeah, he likes a girl but is too chicken to do something about it.", Nick replies.

"It's nice that he's asking you for help, isn't it?", I smile at him.

Nick smiles, too, "Yeah, it really is. You know, Eddie has never asked me anything even remotely related to girls before.".

"You did pretty good for your first time.", I grin.

"What do you mean?", Nick asks, confused.

"That little rejection speech you gave him.".

"Aah, that. Thanks.".

"You're welcome.".

We finish our breakfast soon, but we still have about 45 minutes until our first class starts.

"Hey, would the ice rink be open right now?", Nick asks suddenly.

"Uh... yeah, it would be. Why?", I ask back.

"Can we go check it out?", Nick replies.

"Why?", I respond. "We will go there anyway later today for practice.".

"Yeah, but I just want to see it. Please?", Nick begs.

Okay, how am I supposed today 'no' to that? Even I sometimes have the desire to just go to the rink and sit there without actually doing anything. For me, on the ice, it's relaxing and calming and even peaceful. I get up and grab my backpack. Nick does the same. We return our trays and walk out of the cafeteria.

I lead Nick over to the locker rooms' entrances. "We have to go to the rink through the locker room. The indoor skating rink is on the other side. There is another entrance for the rink which is for the public. It's on the opposite end of the building from us.".